Mass Export Airport mac addresses.

technicholas
Contributor

I would like to export all airport mac addresses so I can import them into our access point system to deny access is there a way to do this?

Thanks!!
Nicholas

2 REPLIES 2

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Do you have a mix of different machines? When I did this, I had to create an Extension Attribute that collected the Airport MAC address, as the "MAC Address" that's collected by default for a machine with both ethernet and Airport is the Ethernet one, which does me little good.

If you have just MacBoo Airs, then there's only a single MAC address and JSS will populate the primary "MAC Address" field with the Airport MAC.

Once you have the EA running, you can then set your Inventory Display preferences to display the Airport MAC address and then export to a .csv file, open it up in Excel, and then delete all the columns you don't need.

This is the script I put into an Extension Attribute to grab the Airport MAC address:

#!/bin/sh
echo "<result>ifconfig en1 | grep ether</result>"

wilesd
New Contributor III

Agreed with damien - We do exactly the same thing.

Script we use below, might be more reliable than above if you have Macs with multiple network adaptors across multiple versions of OS X.

#!/bin/sh

mac=networksetup -listallhardwareports | egrep -A 2 "(AirPort|Wi-Fi)" | grep Ethernet | awk '{print $3}'

echo "<result>$mac</result>"