MASS iPhone enrollment

mikevos
New Contributor III

Hi everybody,

First of, thanks in advance for your reply. Much appreciated.

I find myself in the situation to prepare a workflow for mass enrollment of iPhones.
What I would like to achieve is to supervise the devices via Apple Configurator, without the SIM card installed.
I've been searching the web and couldn't find a way to do this.

Anybody here that has experience in this matter?
Ideally would be if the IT tech won't have insert a SIM card in every iPhone that has to be enrolled since this is a very time consuming task.

Again, thanks in advance.

Mike

5 REPLIES 5

tadholyfamily
New Contributor

You don't need a SIM card and cellular connection to enroll in MDM, just any sort of Internet connection. Have Configurator apply a profile for a WiFi network along with your enrollment profile on the phones. Supposedly you should make the WiFi alphabetically before the enrollment profile, didn't test whether that's really true.

mikevos
New Contributor III

Thanks for your response tadholyfamily.

Unfortunately your suggestion did not work.
Apple Configurator will first try to activate the phone so there aren't any profiles on the iPhone yet.
The process will not continue without the phone activation.

I'll keep trying, but more suggestions are most welcome.
external image link

tadholyfamily
New Contributor

That's using the Configurator computer's Internet connection, not the phone. Did you click the information icon to see why it could not activate? It pops up a box with more info, and sometimes there's a details button on that for a specific error code.

mikevos
New Contributor III

The following error occurs
external image link

tadholyfamily
New Contributor

I've seen that error before. Google is of limited help, but the workaround mentioned in this forum
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6395983
did work for me. Activate the iPads manually, unsupervised, then connect them and supervise them.