Mavericks 10.9 - Disable Apple ID prompting

michaelhusar
Contributor II

I have deployed 10.9 using an image without Apple ID. Every now and then the users get a prompt to sign in with their Apple ID - the "cancel" button has to be clicked on some machines at least 8 times before the window goes away...

Did you find the daemon or something like "defaults write com.apple.SetupAssistant DidSeeCloudSetup -bool true" to kill that prompt?
Or is it practicable to enter a single corporate Apple-ID in a base image for deployment - just to get rid of the prompt?

Thanx for you help and thoughts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@franton, @mjames & @michaelhusar This is not the same prompt.

@alexjdale & @michaelhusar, looks at this thread for a potential way to bypass the prompt, by creating a dummy MAS_Receipt file in the apps: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8818

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

bentoms

Have they got the older versions of iLife or iWork installed?

Oostendorp
New Contributor

I'd also like to know if anyone finds a fix for this. It's the only thing stopping me from rolling out 10.9 to my fleet.

mjames
Contributor

I used to do this under 10.8

mv -f -v /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/SharedSupport/MiniLauncher /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/SharedSupport/MiniLauncher.backup

I haven't tested it yet under 10.9 though.....

michaelhusar
Contributor II

Thanx
@bentoms: I used a machine with the "old" iLife, used composer to "grab" the downloaded "new" apps. You are right to do this I was logged in with an Apple ID. Then I deployed the files to a naked machine. If this is the trouble - this is a new feature. I deployed our Final Cut the same way and no prompting under 10.8 I have to check whether the promting goes away when there are no Apps that where downloaded with an ID

@mjames I have

sudo mv "/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/SharedSupport/MiniLauncher" "/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/SharedSupport/MiniLauncher.backup"
in place it did rename the file but this trick seems to be not enough

franton
Valued Contributor III

Interesting. That command works for me.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yeah, we are struggling with how to handle the new iLife and iWork apps that come free with each Mac since they seem to always prompt for an Apple ID when launched and presumably will not run if the user does not own them. It's hard to explain to management how software comes free with the system but we cannot install it ourselves.

You basically need to not "nuke and pave" the OS that ships with the system, you need to set it up out of the box so the first user to sign in with their Apple ID gets the software associated with their account. The big problem is later, when we do have to re-image to deploy the system to a new user, and suddenly they demand Keynote.

bentoms

@franton, @mjames & @michaelhusar This is not the same prompt.

@alexjdale & @michaelhusar, looks at this thread for a potential way to bypass the prompt, by creating a dummy MAS_Receipt file in the apps: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8818

michaelhusar
Contributor II

Thanx everyone - awesome community!
special thnx @bentoms - of course you are totally right - different prompt - I did not see it.

kiruarch
New Contributor

According to the community, this should be working on 10.9:
http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/disabling-the-icloud-sign-in-pop-up-message-on-lion-and-later/

we tested working on 10.9.1