MCX management (was Re: Apple Remote Desktop Issues)

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III
"Criss Myers" <CMyers at uclan.ac.uk> wrote: I prefer workgroup manager to Casper's mcx

For environments that have a resilient/redundant directory service in place (Active Directory, Open Directory, etc.), I wholly agree that MCX should leverage those systems.

For environments that allow AD schema extension (free), WGM works like a charm. For environments that don't allow AD schema extension (whether because their AD folks are afraid of schema extensions - spooked by AD 2000 <g>), there are several AD plugins that allow you to store MCX in the SYSVOL folder in AD (Likewise/Centrify/Quest/ADMitMac), and three out of the four of them support use of WGM. For environments with deep pockets and enough resources (not many companies), running OD in a Magic/Golden Triangle setup, or going the augmented records route (Cylinder of Destiny).

I haven't had the chance to play with the MMC Plug-Ins provided by Centrify/Likewise/Quest, I hear they're not as complete as WGM for managing MCX.

The Achilles heel in JSS is the fact that it's a single point of failure, so relying on it for MCX is a risky proposition...at least for now. :)

I prefer growl to Casper messaging

Yes, at least until JAMF integrate Growlnotify into their suite...that would be awesome! :)

Criss

I changed the subject so I don't hijack the original thread.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
0 REPLIES 0