MDM Profile for Restrictions blocks burning optical discs.

ctangora
Contributor III

Anybody else using the "Restrictions" options in a MDM Profile for their Macs?

We are trying to but have noticed that it will block access to burning or even mounting an optical disc. There appear to be two settings that are piggy-backed in on the MDM Profile for media support. One disabled burning anything, and the other disables Finder Burning. There is no way we can find to set this in the JSS, so the only options we have are to either build our own version, or to remove the MDM Profile entirely.

Anybody else see this or can they test it and see if they get the same results.

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kaltsas
Contributor III

I do believe this is resolved in 9.3. Now the MDM profile on the endpoint reports Media Restrictions Optical Burn Support On.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

ifbell
Contributor

I take it you have looked at the MCX preferences option Apple Digihub? I use that to ignore the CD on insertion.

ctangora
Contributor III

That is an interesting manifest, but the MDM Profile inside of JSS doesn't cover it like that. It look like it is blocking Finder access and burn support specifically. We don't want to manage what the user does when a disc is inserted, we just don't want to block them from burning one.

Thank you though, good manifest to know if we ever do need further control.

-c

plawrence
Contributor II

Hi @ctangora

I saw this same issue yesterday, with the profile blocking access to burning discs in the Finder (JSS 9.25). I noticed when I edited the profile and clicked on Finder in the sidebar I was able to 'minus' the config (ie delete the settings), even though the sidebar said "Finder - not configured". After saving that, it no longer appeared in the profile.

Some of these configuration profile bugs were fixed in 9.3, have you upgraded yet?

Kaltsas
Contributor III

I just got my first report of this issue (none of the machines in my office actually have optical drives). I grabbed a superdrive and sure enough i can replicate the issue. I'm in the middle of preparing to upgrade to 9.3, I will report my findings when I have completed that.

Kaltsas
Contributor III

I do believe this is resolved in 9.3. Now the MDM profile on the endpoint reports Media Restrictions Optical Burn Support On.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Did you have any success with this. It's something we've been scratching our heads on this. We are doing the same thing (except we have all Media settings set to "ignore" and appear to have burning allowed but still get blocked from burning. "Disable Finder Burning Support" is still set as "True" with no discernible method to correct this.

Kaltsas
Contributor III

It was resolved for me after the update to 9.3 (now running 9.31). In my restrictions profile (that is being used to restrict app store adoption) I have set to allow for Recordable Disks. The profile shows Optical Burn Support: On at the endpoint.

ctangora
Contributor III

We haven't gone to 9.3x yet, but will soon. In the mean time we made custom PLIST to do the settings, and applied them as a MDM, rather than the built-in settings.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

@Kaltsas Interestingly I too have (and have had) that selection turned on and we're still seeing it blocked at our endpoints. More research required I guess.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

So nevermind. Looks like the user had never logged out since we pushed the updated profile. After a reboot it was resolved.

joshuasee
Contributor III

I'm running into this on 9.32 and a configuration profile that I never recall having configured any Finder restrictions on. Looking at it in a text editor reveal that burning is indeed prohibited. Is there a bug report on this I could look at to get a better idea of what triggers it?

ngidzak
New Contributor

Im having this issue with 9.62 any resolutions other then upgrade to 9.3

Key1
New Contributor III

Just upgraded to 9.63 and I'm getting reports of this issue also

MrP
Contributor III

We had the same problem and didn't find a solution except to remove the restrictions policy.

dbrodjieski
New Contributor III

We are finding the same issue here with 9.62.

designbridge
New Contributor II

Has this been fixed in 9.8?? We are running 9.72 and still having the issue.

bgrant11
New Contributor III

Same issue. Removal of all restrictions is the only way to fix it. First 'log off after xx of inactivity' now this. Running 9.98.

brodjieski
New Contributor II

Using v9.99 - when I create a new profile with the Restrictions payload, it appears to have the correct keys for Optical Burn support.

My pre-existing Restrictions profile, created in an older version of the JSS, contains the incorrect keys, and CD burning is disabled.

It appears that the problem doesn't get resolved automatically with a version upgrade of the JSS if you have an existing profile. Creating a new one seems to do the trick.

bgrant11
New Contributor III

Thanks brodjieski. I am cloud hosted so once I get to 9.99 I will recreate. Bummer, I'm lazy.