ML Compiled Image but Spotlight doens't work

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

Had a couple people complain about when they go to spotlight to find an app it doesn't display results. They got around it by doing some mdutil commands.

Has anybody else heard of this or tried it to see if they get similar results from their Casper 8.6 compiled images?

10 REPLIES 10

pbenham
Contributor

Since upgrading to 8.6 I've seen an issue with Spotlight. After imaging a machine with Casper (not a complied image in my case) Spotlight does not function. If I look at the root of the imaged drive I see a hidden file called ".metadata_never_index" which I have to manually remove and restart the machine for the Spotlight indexing to restart. I'm almost sure that this file was not there before I upgraded to 8.6.
I tried creating a simple non booted image with no extra stuff and still saw this file after imaging a machine. I should call it in to my Casper rep, but it's a busy time of year so it's on the backburner right now.

Cem
Valued Contributor

Is this happeneing to all OS clients? Can you confirm the client OS please?

jenski
New Contributor

We've also run into this issue. I ended up creating a script to remove the .metadata_never_index file & put it in a policy that would restart the machine once the script ran. It seems to be working for now.

pbenham
Contributor

I see this on 10.6.X and 10.7.x images (not sure about 10.8).
Our JSS runs on OS X 10.6.8

Cem
Valued Contributor

@jenski
can I have a look at your script if possible please?

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

this is the manual method i have.

sudo mdutil -i off /
sudo mdutil -sv /
cd /
ls -la .m*
sudo rm .metadata_never_index 
sudo mdutil -i on /

Cem
Valued Contributor

@jwojda
do you need to reboot after this?

wdfraser
New Contributor

There is a bug in 8.6 imaging where /.metadata_never_index and /.fseventsd/no_log are created but not cleaned up, https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4939.

Cem
Valued Contributor

@wdfraser
thanks!

Cem
Valued Contributor

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4939
I will save you guys the hassle for copy/paste :)