Mobile account username has changed

Switchfly_IT
New Contributor III

This is so weird, happened to four users in my org in the last few days.

All are on Macs, bound to AD with mobile accounts.

AD account usernames are all first initial and last name (eg jdoe) but for some reason I'm getting reports that the usernames have changed to first name last name (eg. johndoe). I create these mobile accounts myself and send them to remote users. I've been doing it the same way or years so I'm totally confused as to how this could happen and no idea how to fix it.

Help!

6 REPLIES 6

Heavy_D
Contributor III

What are you using to keep your AD Bound Machines bound and current with AD NoMad?

Switchfly_IT
New Contributor III

We don't user NoMad but they stay bound by regularly connecting to the VPN. 

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

Have you reached out to ensure the network team has not made changes? We use NoMAD and have not seen this issue. Could be a new AD attribute the clients are picking up. Have the end-users updated their usernames?  Sorry, not much more help on this. 

I haven't reached out to them. I have access to AD myself so I can pop in there and see the profiles appear correct. We only use Jamf Pro. 

Heavy_D
Contributor III

Only way I have seen this happen in the field is if someone with admin privileges (Domain Admin) physically changing the DisplayName in Active Directory Users and Computers but that would not change the username those are usually difficult to to change you are better off deleting the entire profile and re-creating it for a new username at that point. Are you sure, your users are not getting confused with Display Names?

Switchfly_IT
New Contributor III

Hi, 

Sorry for my tardy response.

So yeah, I'm sure none of our domain admins have done anything. I've confirmed that the user name is incorrect via having them run a whoami on the commandline. I can also see the login name when I look at Computer Usage History in the Jamf portal. 

Have a ticket open with Azure AD folks but they aren't really responding. I'm told there's a "backlog" (MS support has always sucked in my experience).