Mojave installation issue

mhasman
Valued Contributor

New day, new challenge...

Experiencing an issue installing Mojave.

Some Macs model 2016-2017 we reimage by booting up from external drive, format and run "Install macOS Mojave", lates downloaded and saved version 14.6.06. From today, installer gives me an error:

"This copy of the install macOS Mojave application is damaged, and can't be used to install macOS"

Seems like Apple changes something blocking the installer... As enterprise, we are not ready to jump to Catalina right now, we have to stay with Mojave for a while. I'm looking for recommendations how to fix the issue, suggeestions how to be able reimagine with Mohave; maybe where/how to download latest Mojave installer.

Mac admins, please advice :) Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

luke_michelson
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@mhasman If your Mojave installer was download before Oct. 14 2019 you need to download it again. This is a know issue with the cert for the installer expiring today. Here is a link to download Mojave - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

luke_michelson
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@mhasman If your Mojave installer was download before Oct. 14 2019 you need to download it again. This is a know issue with the cert for the installer expiring today. Here is a link to download Mojave - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210190

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@luke.michelson Luke, thank you very much!

lohika
New Contributor

Today is 28 of October.
Unfortunately, Apple still did not fix the expired certificate issue on OS Mojave app.
""This copy of the Install macOS Mojave application is damaged, and can't be used to install macOS"

J_Mukite
New Contributor III

Can also confirm this.

rrouleau
Contributor

10/29 - URL to download Mojave is now broken.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

In Terminal, run:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.14.6

rrouleau
Contributor
Posted: 10/29/2019 at 7:41 AM CDT by larry_barrett In Terminal, run: softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.14.6

This seems to be a Catalina only option/flag, but may be a good workaround for the time being.

johnorso
New Contributor

Still not allowing any Mojave updates or Mac OS Installers. Seems like the links to the app store are broken.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

@rrouleau as far as I can tell it is Catalina only. The softwareupdate tool is present in Mojave, but they are not currently listing any software (softwareupdate --list) as being available. I don't have any devices pre-Mojave, so can't really test it :)

sam_g
Contributor
Contributor

For anyone needing to get a new installer of Mojave with the right certificates, you can use installinstallmacos.py. Rich Trouton has step by step instructions on how to use it here: lhttps://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/02/27/using-installinstallmacos-py-to-download-macos-high-si...

You need to download the 18G103 build for 10.14.6 that is dated 2019-10-14.

rrouleau
Contributor

@larry_barrett - Yes, the softwareupdate tool has been around for may generations of the macOS. --fetch-full-installer is the Catalina only flag that is new.

The command did work perfectly for my needs (to grab a full install of 10.14.6 with new cert) on a Catalina machine, so thank you for pointing out this new flag.

erichughes
Contributor II

Where does the softwareupdate command store things? I don't see it in the regular /Library/Updates folder?

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

The current Catalina version downloads and installs into Applications by default.

cjatsbm
New Contributor II

I ran the script and got the DMG... mounted and copied the installer to my desktop but now JAMF Admin is zipping it when I try to upload to replace the expired installer... any idea why?

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Maybe URL was broken because of Mojave Security Update 2019-001 release? Hope it is coming back soon

erichughes
Contributor II

The App Store link is working again.

gabester
Contributor III

@J.Mukite @lohika On a different thread (one of the packagepocalypse ones) I saw users ongoing "damaged" report may be resolved by a reboot; give that a try and report back...

alexmcclements
Contributor

This link has links to the last 6 OS

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/how-to-fix-a-damaged-macos-installer/

J_Mukite
New Contributor III

@Sterritt I actually have had some success with reboots. Thank you.

afianagung
New Contributor

Just back date your system, I was tried backdate for 1 years and it's work!! :)