Monterey breaking Configuration Profiles

AdamM01
New Contributor II

Hey all,

Was working on deploying a new macbook when I noticed our configuration profiles were not deploying.

I looked in the logs and see this: "The current system configuration does not allow the requested operation"

I saw this article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212596

But I honestly have no idea what they are talking about or how to build or config profiles so they have a "PayloadIdentifier"

I assume this is the issue but not sure, anyone else having problems with this?

12 REPLIES 12

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

What settings are you deploying in the profile having an issue? 

Is the computer intel or apple silicon? If Apple Silicon, does the profile have any kernel extensions in it?

mschroder
Valued Contributor

If you select the profile in jamf, and click on 'Edit' it should tell you already what is deprecated and how to fix it - assuming you have a recent jamf version.

AdamM01
New Contributor II

Checked and Jamf doesn't give me any indication that what I'm using is deprecated. Not sure where I would even find that info.

AdamM01
New Contributor II

Got it, thank you both for the replies. I'll take a look. Looks like we're on Jamf v 10.33

Also, this is for Apple M1 chips, one of them does have both System and Kernal extensions listed.

mschroder
Valued Contributor

Kernel extensions are a no-go for M1...

swapple
Contributor III

Is there something that converts them to the right format?

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Funny. I have two identical M1s next to me, both with 12.1 Monterey; testing CPs deployent; one gets CPs, 2nd shows an error "The current system configuration does not allow the requested operation".

Thoughts?

@mhasman, I am seeing results similar to you. I have a new CP for Carbon Black Cloud that I am testing. Of the 5 devices I have tested this on, it is failing on only one, an M1 MacBook Pro. I've tested on both M1s and Intels, Big Sur and various versions of Monterey. Were you able to to track anything on your system that was failing?

smacn6
New Contributor

Hello - I know this is a year old, but we are just now updating some of our Macs from Intel to M2.  Were you ever able to figure out how to install Carbon Black Cloud on an M1 or M2 Mac when you got an error?  I'm having the same issue where the kexts won't install.

Hello... I have a Configuration Profile scoped to just the M1 Chipset (I don't have any M2s yet).

I followed these instructions: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Carbon-Black-Cloud/services/cbc-sensor-installation-guide/GUID-A68... using only a System Extension, not a Kernel Extension.

Hope this helps.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I believe that on M1, whitelisting KEXTs is contingent on the device being enrolled in Jamf via ABM/ASM. 

Chad-Bisd
New Contributor

I know this conversation is a bit dated, but I got this error on JAMF School, Apple Macbook Pro M1, and MacOS Monterry (12.1).  I simply went into the device details in JAMF School, Managed Profiles, and told it to reinstall.  It worked.  This is the 5th Macbook Pro with the M1 Pro that I've setup and the first to fail on a profile with this error.  It seems to be a temporary error for me at least.