MS Teams not showing under screen recording

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I was just working with a user who was trying to share her screen with MS Teams, but whenever she tried she would get the security notice that Screen Sharing needs to be enabled. So we click the direct link within teams to open System Preferences, MS Teams is not listed.

We upgraded to the current version of teams (1.3.26266), rebooted, manually opened the sys pref, and it's still not listed. However, Microphone and Camera are there and checked off.

Anybody have any suggestions?

macOS 10.15.7

8 REPLIES 8

walt
Contributor III

seeing the same thing during our testing with MS Teams on 10.15.7 and Big Sur, no solution but want to know if there are more out there...users are currently admins anyway as well and no other restrictions.

COUNTRY_Financi
New Contributor

I had 3 users in the last week with the same issue, they were all trying to share in a meeting but it would not popup the access request under screen recording. I called one of the users and had them try it on a call with me (not during a meeting), and it immediately popped up under screen recording, and accessibility for shared control. Had the other 2 users try the same thing with each other and it worked perfectly.

Not sure what's going on there, I'm thinking it's a Teams bug, but I'd try sharing your screen during an unscheduled call and see if it works for you too!

Corey_Nechkash
New Contributor III

I ended up having to run this for a couple users. Basically reset the Teams TCC data.

I have a Config Profile set to push down the Teams settings. I needed a way to reset the TCC Teams settings but the config profile would always over rule. I got around this by using the script to remove the machine from the scope of the config profile, make the change and then put the machine back in scope. I cobbled it together from a bunch of other suggestions.

The script below will: quit Teams, create a dummy receipt, run a Jamf recon to add the machine to the smart group for exclusion, reset the TCC settings for Teams, quit System Preferences (if it gets opened), create a new dummy receipt to mark completed and remove the original dummy receipt, and finally run a Jamf Recon. The last recon will remove the machine from the config profile exclusions and allow the Teams config profile to be installed again.

I have this script in a policy that's available to the users, so all they have to do is run it. Once this is complete, have the user open Teams again and they should be prompted to accept the new Screen Recording authentication. If it doesn't prompt, have them join a meeting then click the Share Content button. It's worked for the few users I've tested with on 10.15.6.

If you're not using a config profile for Teams, you could just remove the dummy receipts and the recon's from the script and run that.

Smart Groups Used:
macOS - TCC_ScreenCap - Reset Needed
- Criteria: Package installed by casper - HAS - jamf.mgmt.tcc_acc_screencap_resetcompleted.pkg
--- Exclude this group from your Teams config profile

macOS - TCC_ScreenCap - Reset Completed
- Criteria: Package installed by casper - HAS - jamf.mgmt.tcc_acc_screencap_resetcompleted.pkg
--- This group isn't really needed, I'm just curious and wanted to be able to track how many times it was used.

#!/bin/bash
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 
#  Reset the TCC / Accessibility and Screen Recording settings
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 

# Quit the Microsoft Teams App
/usr/bin/osascript -e 'quit app "Microsoft Teams"'

#Set a package receipt to modify smart computer group membership
/usr/bin/touch /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Receipts/jamf.mgmt.tcc_acc_screencap_resetneeded.pkg

#Run Jamf Recon to update Smart Computer membership
/usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf recon
sleep 5

#Use TCCUTIL to reset the Security & Privacy > Accessibility
/usr/bin/tccutil reset Accessibility com.microsoft.teams

#Use TCCUTIL to reset the Security & Privacy > Screen Recording
/usr/bin/tccutil reset ScreenCapture com.microsoft.teams

# Quit the System Preferences App
/usr/bin/osascript -e 'quit app "System Preferences"'

#Set a package receipt to modify smart computer group membership
/usr/bin/touch /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Receipts/jamf.mgmt.tcc_acc_screencap_resetcompleted.pkg

#Remove the previous Jamf receipt for reset needed
rm -fr /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Receipts/jamf.mgmt.tcc_acc_screencap_resetneeded.pkg

#Run Jamf Recon to update Smart Computer membership
/usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf recon

exit 0

andymcp
New Contributor III

I'm seeing the same issue in 10.15.7. First reported by a user and then I did a full tccutil reset ScreenCapture and can't add Teams back.

jhuls
Contributor III

I just did a test between my system and my director's with both having 10.15.7 up to date. Teams worked fine sharing screens both ways but trying to figure out the version is the bigger challenge.

Jamf reports the versions as 326266.
Get info reports the versions as 1.00.326266
About Microsoft Teams does absolutely nothing at all.

I'm not sure what's up with that but I can only assume that based on the similarities that this is the 1.3.26266 mentioned above although I'm at a loss as to where that version number came from.

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@andymcp @jhuls @Corey.Nechkash @jwojda Same here with systems upgraded from High Sierra to Catalina with MS Teams 326266 installed before the OS upgrade
The only way I found to make the request appear is: close the call with the person you're trying to share the screen with (if open) and share the screen to that person from the chat history using the button on the right (actually, to make the request appear you can use any contact you can call at that point).
This way, when Teams tries to share the screen, the request to allow screen sharing finally appears where it should be, in system Preferences

8b3be1b02adc4b8fa2dd05e04f8a3c00

spalmer
Contributor III

@carlo.anselmi Thanks for posting that work around!

I was in the same boat on Mojave, with Teams already installed, and when I was in a meeting trying to share a screen Teams would notify me (via its own interface) that you need to approve screen recording but it would not actually trigger the OS level dialog to open System Preferences.

I tried your trick and it worked perfectly, even bringing up the OS level dialog prompt to open System Preferences! Seems like a bug to me. Hopefully the Microsoft developers are aware of it and get it fixed soon because end users will panic and get frustrated with their IT admins if they can't share their screen while in the middle of a live meeting.

walt
Contributor III

Also noticed this in Big Sur beta 11.0.1 and with the latest version of Teams