Multiple User Accounts on iPads

lizmowens
New Contributor III

If I'm reading the technical documentation correctly, the only way I can set up multiple accounts on a new iPad cart is to have managed Apple IDs for each of those students. Is that correct?

I'm setting up a new shared preschool cart and we don't use Apple IDs at all since we use device based app assignment. Just wanting to make sure I understand the limitations before I start the process.

1 REPLY 1

bumbletech
Contributor III

You'd still use the device-based app assignment, but the students would need to user their managed AppleIDs to sign into the iPad.

If you have classrooms setup in your Jamf Pro Server, the nice thing is that all the students need to do is tap on their name/picture (if you have pictures setup) and they'll just need to punch in their password/code for the AppleID. In Apple School Manager, you can set this to as simple as a 4-digit numeric code.

The not-so-nice thing is that students create their on password/code for the managed AppleIDs, which can be a big hurdle some teachers—let alone their students (or even folks in charge of IT).