MUT and renaming iPads

jhuls
Contributor III

So, I have a group of iPads that I would like to rename in an automated fashion. It's been a really long time but I swear I've used MUT to do this before and have an old folder labeled The MUT on my system with csv files in them that would have been created for this very thing. They contain iPad serial numbers and iPad names. When I try to load them into the current version of MUT, it tells me that the csv is malformed and it has too many columns. Not to mention that I'm not even recognizing anything in MUT that screams out to me that it can rename iPads.

Does anyone use MUT 5.0.5 for this purpose? It doesn't look like I remember or maybe I'm just not remembering correctly. It might have been something I attempted and found it couldn't be done. Like I said it was a long time ago and looking through jamfnation I'm not finding anything leaping out to me about how to do this. Some talked like it's possible but whatever the case things aren't clicking right now in trying to figure it out.

4 REPLIES 4

drioux
Contributor

Are you using the pre-formatted CSV files that MUT gives you, or your own?

jhuls
Contributor III

I was trying to use what I thought I had used in the past and like I said got the strange error of too many columns when there were only two columns of data in it.

I just now copy pasted that same data into the provided template and that seems to be doing the trick. Obviously I should have tried that first. I guess I was a little stumped because of the strange error and then not seeing anything obvious to me about renaming.

I believe I did run into an actual bug though(minor one). I tend to use the keyboard for navigating when I can and noticed that when I tried to use the arrow keys to navigate up and down the list it provided in MUT that it wasn't updating what data I was wanting to look at for that serial number. If I select the serial number with the mouse though, it would immediately show me the correct accompanying data from the csv.

At any rate thanks for providing the nudge to do what I should have done before posting here. I'm sure glad it's Friday. lol

drioux
Contributor

No problem. I had similar issues after they updated it.

rhooper
Contributor III

I was able to use MUT 5.3.2 and populate most of the fields for iPads. There is one exception, the Asset Tag and Warranty expiry date do not populate and I receive an error PUT409. The format of the Warranty needed to be yyyy-MM-dd format. Once that was done the fields populated. I noticed the date was off by 1 day though. 2024-02-11 populated the purchasing> warranty Expiration to 2024-02-10. Corrected that by adding a day. My thought is that it is not taking Leap year into account, but I am by no means a coder. All-in-All it is a great tool and time saver! Thanks MUT!