MySQL Database Location Settings

tthurman
Contributor III

I'm sure this has probably been answered, but I cannot find anything on it.

We are working on upgrading our JSS system to 9.32 over the next couple of days and I'm having an issue with the location of the database.I currently have a Windows 2012 Server box running the JSS installation.

Our MySQL database is on a separate local drive. For some reason, when I installed JSS it didn't give me the option to connect to it at a specified location. I'm somewhat new at this and was wondering if I could get some assistance?

Sincerely,
TJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

From what I understand, when you install the JSS it looks for a local instance of MySQL. If there isn't one, it asks for a location. So assuming it's on the same box as the JSS, it grabs it automatically.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jdziat
Contributor

You don't need a local path. Its going to essentially use localhost:3306 to connect to the mysql service. It's not a file you specify as much a network address and port number that the service interacts with. I would google MySQL and read the wiki article at least if you need to know more specifics.

tthurman
Contributor III

So, as long as the MySQL service is running on the machine, it doesn't matter where the database is stored?

That's kinda nice.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

From what I understand, when you install the JSS it looks for a local instance of MySQL. If there isn't one, it asks for a location. So assuming it's on the same box as the JSS, it grabs it automatically.

tthurman
Contributor III

Fantastic.

Thank you very much to the both of you. @emilykausalik and @jdziat.

yan1212
Contributor

You could have a look in the database.xml file, this is where the database location, path, name etc are stored.

In Windows this 'should' be in: C:Program Files/Apache Tomcat Foundation/Tomcat 7/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/xml/database.xml

Hope this helps

Dinnerticketboy
New Contributor III

Is there anyway, that the DataBase.xml can be encrypted, as the <DataBaseUser> & <DataBasePassword> are clear text?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Dinnerticketboy AFAIK that's a Tomcat thing...

I'd be more worried about folks getting far enough to read the contents of the xml.. & not so much the contents itself.

robmorton
Contributor

Yeah, I would need that file encrypted as well. Basic rule of thumb, do not store a password in clear text. If you are working for the government, no clear text password can exist like that. This would be a show stopper.