NetSUS and Updates policy.

daubenspeckm
New Contributor

I have a NetSUS install on an Ubunutu VM, and everything appears to be working fine. I've manually run the repo_sync command and everything syncs fine, I have new updates downloaded this month. In the webadmin of the NetSUS, I have created a root branch and applied all packages to it. So far so good I believe.

I go to the JSS, and in the settings I've added the software update server info, gave it a name, put in the Server and Port, which I assume should be test.domain.com and port 80?

I've applied that to a new policy which is applied to a few test machines. I know they need updates, but in Self Service, it appears to be running, but only takes a few seconds, so I know it didn't actually update anything. Now, when I manually go to the App store and check for updates, it throws an error:

"The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be "test.domain.com" which could put your confidential information at risk."

Now I can't even apply updates straight from Apple for some reason. Any ideas in what I am doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

The setting in the JSS does only work correctly with an Apple SUS. Directly point your clients to the OS specific URL instead (example for 10.10):

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL "1.2.3.4/content/catalogs/others/index-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1_root.sucatalog"

daubenspeckm
New Contributor

Tried that, still get the certificate error:

"The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be "test.domain.com" which could put your confidential information at risk."

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

It's likely has to do with how the networking is setup for the VM. Are you hosting multiple VMs on one box? Can you switch it to a bridged network connection, rather than a shared?

It knows your going through a VM and is giving you this warning. There's probably a way to remedy this without adjust the network adapter settings in ubuntu but this is the only way I know to test. For now.

daubenspeckm
New Contributor

It's in a shared blade server cluster using XenServer. I have a slew of other machines, including other Ubuntu systems, that I've never seen issues with.