New Apple Deployment site

bthomason
New Contributor II

2 weeks ago I was successful in adding some devices to test with Apple's new OTA deployment site. You can add iPads by serial numbers.

Now when I attempt to add devices I get this screen. Is anybody else receiving this?

external image link

Thanks for any info.

5 REPLIES 5

chrislandreth
New Contributor II

Not sure where the devices you are trying to add were purchased but I believe only devices order directly from Apple through your education or enterprise account are eligible to enroll in the Apple DEP.

freddie_cox
Contributor III

The device also must have been purchased within the last 3 years directly from Apple. I've got some iPad 2's that don't fall under this umbrella. Due to their age they tended to be my test subjects. It forced me to update to an iPad air and Mini.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

bthomason
New Contributor II

HA, But whats weird is these iPads were working OK the last two weeks, now all of a sudden they are not eligible? I do have some iPads that were donated by parents, so I guess they won't fall under this umbrella. I would really like to use this, but I guess there is still limitations.

freddie_cox
Contributor III

That's kind of where we struggle too. I want to just "set it and forget it" but we have run into a few limitations like this.

If all goes well, our plan will be to use DEP for all new devices around the fall and only go back and recapture old ones as it makes sense. The managed apps are great too, but there are just so many steps to get them to the end user. I am hoping the deploy site improves and is able to give us better error messages. But for now we don't get much.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

I learned yesterday at an Apple TUD that if you are thinking at all of using those older iPads in the future, to make sure and add them to DEP now when they are still within the 3 year window. You don't have to assign them to an MDM server and implement the new ways on them.

chris