New employee doesn't connect to the internet after turning on their new MAC during initial setup

anamul321
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have all the configs in place for DEP & user-enrolement. But let's say, we sent a new macbook to a new employee who is starting as Work from home and the employee doesn't connect to wifi during initial MAC setup and goes on to create a local account. I have the macbook in ABM & in the scope of prestage enrollement as well.

Can we do anything about it?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Utilizator
Contributor

I don't believe there is - from my understanding this has to be in place in case anything ever happened to PreStage/ABM etc. The only thing you can do is inform the end user they must connect to Wi-Fi when prompted during setup.

It's not ideal, but our workaround is to know who has been sent a Mac and when we should expect to see it appear in Jamf. If it doesn't appear, reach out to the end user and find out what's happened.

This happens in my company a few times... normally users who are trying to be smart and "beat" the system, but all it does is put a huge red flag under their name as someone to keep a close eye on.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Utilizator
Contributor

I don't believe there is - from my understanding this has to be in place in case anything ever happened to PreStage/ABM etc. The only thing you can do is inform the end user they must connect to Wi-Fi when prompted during setup.

It's not ideal, but our workaround is to know who has been sent a Mac and when we should expect to see it appear in Jamf. If it doesn't appear, reach out to the end user and find out what's happened.

This happens in my company a few times... normally users who are trying to be smart and "beat" the system, but all it does is put a huge red flag under their name as someone to keep a close eye on.

Thanks Jay-Kay.

I will take the suggestion xD, cheers!

nelsoni
Contributor III

From my understanding, this will be addressed in Ventura where one it enrolls for the very first time into your MDM via Prestage, it will always require an internet connection to complete setup. Obviously this does not help you now, but it is being addressed.

anamul321
New Contributor II

Sounds interesting. Thanks Nelsoni!