New Java being a pain.....

rohrt85
New Contributor II

Hey everyone-

I am looking to update my Self Service with the newest Java update but instead of being easy, like in the past when I could just drop the file from the Java download in Admin, now it is saying that it will not accept it because it sees it as a third party app??!!

I have tried going to Composer to build from there but when I loaded the created package into Admin my entire system bugged out and could not find the distribution point anymore unless I took that package out and restarted my server.

So all in all my afternoon yesterday was horrible and I don't even want to bring up the Flash massacre that ended my morning yesterday.... Is anyone else having issues with Java or how do you get around this to make my day a whole lot better?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

roadrunner2348
Contributor

If you right click on the .app file, and show package contents, the go to the contents/resources folder and there is a pkg file you can grab to use as the installer. You can check out this page that has some more info..

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/oracles-java-8-update-40-has-been-updated-again-to-java-8-update-40/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

roadrunner2348
Contributor

If you right click on the .app file, and show package contents, the go to the contents/resources folder and there is a pkg file you can grab to use as the installer. You can check out this page that has some more info..

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/oracles-java-8-update-40-has-been-updated-again-to-java-8-update-40/

mbuckner
Contributor

Check your security settings on your mac. I've seen that error before, and my security settings had changed after an OS update.

Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy. Under Allow Apps Downloaded From, you may need to change the setting to Anywhere.

elliotjordan
Contributor III

@rohrt85 AutoPkg is by far the easiest way to keep up with this Java update mess (and Flash too). It takes a few minutes to set up, but it's time well spent. Our app AutoPkgr makes setup of AutoPkg super easy.

rohrt85
New Contributor II

Thanks @roadrunner2348 !!! That did the trick. I did see that in the package contents but didn't think that it would be that pkg file.

rohrt85
New Contributor II

@elliotjordan - I have not heard about this before!! I am going to look into a little more and hopefully put it to use for next year with our growing 1:1 environment.