new macs

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

So the new 15" MBPro won't get the new touchpad and no USB-C, seems... odd.

2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory 128GB PCIe-based flash storage1 Intel Iris Graphics 6100 Built-in battery (10 hours)2 Force Touch trackpad
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz 16GB 1600MHz memory 256GB PCIe-based flash storage1 Intel Iris Pro Graphics — Built-in battery (8 hours)2 Multi-Touch trackpad

and a wireless MacBook seems annoying... hopefully they will release a dock or something for the USB-C connector

3 REPLIES 3

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I don't see "New" by the 15" MBP on the store site, I thought there were no changes? I wasn't paying full attention during the whole keynote.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The 13" model has, I believe, been a more popular seller for Apple, so it makes sense they'd put the newest tech in them first. If they plan on keeping the 15" model around, which would make sense to do, then it will come. Just not today.
As for the new "MacBook", well, should make "imaging" kind of interesting since by default you can't have one connected to a network or local disk AND power simultaneously. Time to move away from any kind of imaging it seems, unless really necessary.
It also seems like a good opening for 3rd party makers to make a USB-C type dock for these new models.

EDIT: Yeah, the 15" was not refreshed. Is that what you were thinking @jwojda?

htse
Contributor III

Ars Technica makes the point that Quad-Core processors from Intel aren't available from Intel until later in the year, which explains why there's no update to the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.