New Model Identifiers

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I just discovered that Apple is introducing a new Model Identifier scheme for the new Macs. The 13" M2 MacBook Pro is "Mac14,7" and the Mac Studio is "Mac13,1" Has anyone found any explanation for the new format? Will we be able to use Model Identifiers in a meaningful way (like MacBookPro11,5 is older than MacBookPro16,1) or will the numbers be just a random assignment to new models? 

4 REPLIES 4

pete_c
Contributor III

Although Mac13,x and Mac14,y are harder to parse without any external reference, this new ordering indicates the sequence that the models were introduced, so it actually is more logical. Ie, the Mac studio (Mac13) was introduced before the M2 Air (Mac14).

FutureFacinLuke
Contributor II

2023 MacBook Pro 16" shows as Mac14,10 in Jamf 10.44.1

mariopena
New Contributor III

My brand new MacBook Pro 14"'s are showing as Mac14'9 in Jamf and not being seen as notebook/mobile. so my Wifi Config is not being pushed to them. I have a iMac Wi-Fi exception that I have to put them in, in order for the WiFi config to be pushed to them. This is so annoying.   

My Guess is the number based model identifiers is based on the processor line. If you look at the Mac Studios with M1 Max and ultra Chips they are 13,x. Anything so far with an m2 line chip is 14. I'm guessing this is to stop supporting entire  processor lines all at once in the future Instead of having support for 2017 iMacs but only 2019 Macbook Airs... You can just say all support for 14 series Macs have ended.

Why they waited until m1 max to implement it and not the original M1 processors, I'm not sure. Also, i'm guessing it also makes it hard for press outlets to figure out leaks of new products when it's just a number.... anyways these are just my hypothesis

I was, however, able to create an Extension Attribute to overcome this issue and scope my laptop specific policies/config profiles to the string that the EA generates. This may be helpful for you:

#!/bin/bash

model=`system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | awk "/Model Name:/" | cut -c 19- | sed "s/ //g" | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'`

echo "<result>$model</result>"

You can get rid of the "tr" and "sed" commands too if you would like 

View of the EA in the device record:

kbreed27_0-1683906728828.png