Newbie needs direction :)

KSamuels
New Contributor

We are a fairly small business with around 50 employees and we are rolling out to everyone new Macs and this is my first foray into MDM on OS X and Casper.
I did the two day training a month ago in rushed session due to work constraints and the holidays and such, then due to those same constraints I was unable to start using the software or roll out any machines yet.
I have pretty much forgotten everything but the basics learned in that VERY expensive training session :(
We need to get this equipment in the hands of the end users asap.
My original thought was to do everything via self serve portal, but the higher ups think that will take too long for every employee to install everything they need and bog down the network with 50 people all trying to install Office365 at once etc...
So I have been tasked with making an image for each "group" of employees (Sales, Art, Dev, Exec) so when they turn on their new PC it has everything they need and all that we allow them to use (they can't install anything not in the self serve).
How do I make each of these images and still let the computer boot up with no user like a new Mac?
We don't currently use any AD,OD or LDAP servers but would like to move to AD very soon, just waiting on the server equipment and setup.
Any directional help on how to get started would be much appreciated.
Please be as detailed as possible since I'm starting from scratch.
I did search around on here before asking but wasn't sure what to search for really.

5 REPLIES 5

strider_knh
Contributor II

If you have the software packages in Casper Admin already with a clean image you can create a configuration for each group. Each configuration can have a separate selection of software that will get installed. These configurations will save so that any time in the future you wan tot re-image they will be there. All computers in that group will be setup exactly the same.

As to the image. We use autodmg to create an un-booted image so that the users don't have to go through the setup process. A local account can be created for them using either a policy or it can be configured at time of imaging.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

First, you're in one of the best places for help! I had the same problem with my Jump Start where I immediately went into other projects as soon as I was done and didn't really sink my teeth into it until a few months after. You're also bringing MDM in at just the right time, both in your company size and in the improvements on the MDM market lately.

Monolithic/thick imaging is outdated in most situations and you'll probably find images only useful when you need to wipe a Mac for some reason. Otherwise you can just use the built-in OS, install your QuickAdd and do the rest of what you need to do through Configuration Profiles and policies.

Your manager is right, I wouldn't want people using Self Service to install software everyone will need. I find it useful for optional software or for software that gets requested to be installed from time to time.

Create each of your departments in the JSS by going to the JSS gear cog settings menu, Network Organization, then Departments.

You'll want to use Casper Admin to add PKGs to your distribution point. Don't get too hung up with Composer for the most part you can use existing installers as they are. Drag and drop the PKG onto Casper Admin and assign a category.

Use a policy to install the software (Create new Policy, then Packages section) and scope the policy to appropriate departments.

Another good place to ask for help is the ##osx-server IRC channel on Freenode.net IRC network. You'll find me on there most days as well as other JAMF customers.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

If you're starting from scratch, I would go for a very thin deployment approach. If you drop full OS imaging you don't have to worry about how to boot the target Macs from something other than their internal boot drives, image compatibility etc.

I would:

• Package each piece of software you need to deploy (there's loads of good information here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/thirdPartyProducts.html?page=A)

• Create a policy for each software item, set to run either at startup or on a recurring check-in

• Either setup the new computers for the user, enrol with Casper (using a QuickAdd package you can create using Recon), or let the users do it (they set up their own Mac and you just supply them with the QuickAdd.pkg)

Hope this is of some help!

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@KSamuels, i've a post on my imaging workflow. Not sure if it will help: https://macmule.com/2014/12/21/my-casper-imaging-workflow/

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

So... what happened @KSamuels?