Nice Self Service Features

ds_support
New Contributor III

Hello Community!

I am looking for cool and helpful features in the Self Service. Maybe everyone can tell me a few cool and helpful Features for us as IT-Support or helpful features for our Users.

I am exited about all "Must Have" Features!

Many Thanks for help! Next week, we start our enroll! I am exited!

Many Thanks
Christian

4 REPLIES 4

djwojo
Contributor

It sounds lame, but the most helpful tool for self service is you: Promote it, market it, and make your users love it! We have saved a ton of time by creating a very simple layout with the most used apps, frequent websites, and being able to customize the "logged in user" experience. We also put in our admin tools so they are always available regardless of machine.

We are in an AD/LDAP environment so we utilize the groups for installs and upgrades, and departmental access. For example: Install OSX Upgrade, Remove Outlook 2011, Install 2016, etc...

Hope this helps!

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

My favorite part of Self Service is the ability to add scripts that can help the users fix their own problems. The problem Self Service solves is that users may not know how to fix things themselves OR they'd need admin rights to fix something. Creating scripts that take care of both these is awesome.

Some "self help tools" I've made available:
- change time zones (1 for each in the US)
- set permissions on /etc/hosts to allow users to edit
- Fix my keychain (basically deletes the entire ~/Library/Keychains folder and forces a restart)
- Flush DNS cache
- purge user cache
- MS Office & Outlook repair (easier than walking users through holding down the option key while launching Outlook)
- Reset MS Lync (deletes EVERY scattered Lync settings file from a user's home folder so they can start off from scratch)
- Repair disk Permissions

I'm experimenting more with complex (for me) scripts that Update Creative Cloud software without being an admin user. I've been getting ideas to use something like Platypus to do some GUI feedback and interactivity so the users have a better idea of what's going on.

And YES... Promote it to your users at every opportunity you have! Get them involved. Give them the power to help themselves (within the boundaries you set forth). They become more productive and it gives you more time to work on more serious issues.

jamf_sam

There was a very cool thread some years back where admins were sharing screenshots their Self Service pages. You can find that thread here. It'd be neat to see some more recent examples!

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

And don't forget to get Self Service Icon Maker It has made my job easier when making it look presentable to users.