Not able to unlock Mac from JSS

corbinmharris
Contributor

Yesterday I locked a student's Mac using the Management Command. The Mac was brought in this morning and I accidentally typed in the wrong passcode. There wasn't an option to retry and the screen displayed 'try again in XX minute'. In Management history I can view the passcode, but there isn't an option to unlock.

After an hour, I clicked on the trackpad to wake the Mac and there wasn't an option to unlock the Mac, just "Wrong Passcode. Try Again."

Any ideas on how to unlock the student's MBP?

Thanks! Corbin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lwindram
Contributor

Almost every time that we lock a device the students try to guess the passcode, so I've seen this several times. Applecare won't handle this type of request, so each device has to be taken in to an Apple store to have the lock removed. You will need to bring along proof of purchase for the device.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

chad_fox
Contributor II

Corbin-

Boot into internet recovery, you will be prompted to enter in the passcode that you chose when first locking the machine.

command alt R

I ran into this same issue a couple weeks ago and I was able to resolve using this method.

lwindram
Contributor

Almost every time that we lock a device the students try to guess the passcode, so I've seen this several times. Applecare won't handle this type of request, so each device has to be taken in to an Apple store to have the lock removed. You will need to bring along proof of purchase for the device.

corbinmharris
Contributor

Thanks!

sroller
New Contributor

Actually just went through this process today. If you have access to GSX just start an SPS chat and they can guide you through an EFI reset that cleared the activation lock.

chendricks
New Contributor

Internet Recovery is not working for me. I guess I am planning a trip to my local Apple store.

craig_caruso
New Contributor II

Is the Apple Store the only fix?