Notice: Use only 10.15.0 Jamf Remote after upgrading to 10.15.0

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I discovered the hard way that using a version of Jamf Remote older than 10.15.0 to connect to a Mac with the binary already upgraded to 10.15.0 will break the Jamf binary on that computer.

It's always best practice to use the current version of Jamf Remote but this time it's a bit more critical.

When the binary breaks, that computer will no longer run policies or check in so it's fairly impactful. Running the jamf binary on a broken machine results in "/usr/local/bin/jamf: cannot execute binary file".

The fix? Use Jamf Remote 10.15.0 and set the preferences to install CLI apps using SCP. Do an inventory update on the broken computer and it should reinstall the binary.

9 REPLIES 9

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

Thank you for this. Was racking my brain over this the past couple days.

@cbrewer What do you mean by: Use Jamf Remote 10.15.0 and set the preferences to install CLI apps using SCP. Do an inventory update on the broken computer and it should reinstall the binary.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

70e077d4bf644761820879fc97d2093a

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

... wow.

tomt
Valued Contributor

What @Chris_Hafner said...

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the fix @cbrewer

jlimonesatwork
New Contributor

Thank you for this! I too was racking my brain over this the past couple days.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Think we're running into this as well. thanks for posting this. wish the old remote versions wouldn't work.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Seeing this issue again while using a 10.17.0 version of Jamf Remote on a 10.17.1 client.

Jamf - Please don't ship another version of Jamf Remote until you add some version checking.