Notification Center Today view

catfeetstop
Contributor II

Hello Everyone,

I'm noticing that I can't adjust some widgets in the Notification Center's Today view. It has a widget for Weather but I can't add any locations to it. It shows the stocks widget but I can't change any of the stocks and the ones that are there never seem to update. I've tried removing/adding the widgets but that doesn't help. I've tried trashing the com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist and relaunching the Notification Center, it doesn't help. I've tried looking through our configuration profiles to see if anything is blocking this but I can't find anything. We're running JSS 9.65 and the client Macs are Yosemite.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have any ideas?

• Jamie
6 REPLIES 6

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Not too long ago I saw someone release a tool that they created to manage certain things in the Notification Center. Maybe someone else can find it. Not sure if it was here or on the MacEnterprise List. May be of some help.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@catfeetstop What I think @bpavlov was talking about was NCutil from @jacob_salmela

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

That's the one @bentoms ! I really wish there was an easy way to keep track of all these great open source tools. Probably need to get more familiar with github which is on my to do list later this year.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

NCUtil is pretty cool. Not sure if it can manipulate the Today view though. I think it mainly deals with the regular Notifications section, but worth a shot to see if it can help.

It sounds to me like a Config Profile is actually blocking something though. Rather than checking your profiles on the JSS, check them on the affected Mac by going into System Information.app and looking under the profiles section and examine everything there. In my experience, sometimes the JSS will add extra settings to Config profiles when they are created or uploaded that you didn't specify. We had this happen to us. A profile got some extra settings that were blocking items in the Share menu on Yosemite until we located it and fixed it. We mentioned this to our TAM at the time because it seems like a bug in the JSS that its adding in settings we didn't explicitly set for the profile.

jacob_salmela
Contributor II

NCutil does not manipulate the Today view. I suppose that would be next logical step for the utility though!

catfeetstop
Contributor II

Thanks for all the responses everyone. It's weird, it looks like it's working today. At least on my computer. It's very low priority but I'll keep checking it out and will also look into NCutil. Thanks again!