Nudge (macOS Updates)

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I've been following @erikgmez 's Nudge app for macOS 11 for a while now, and I'm finally trying to jump in to it.

There seems to be a lot of configuration options but they all seem pretty similar to me when reading the wiki

I tried running it just with defaults and it made the nudge window active constantly... what settings are recommended to kind of tone down the aggressiveness of behavior? Our patches prior to macOS 11 would run once a day and prompt to install or defer. In hindsight that seems not aggressive enough, so maybe every couple hours? I'm open to suggestions, but with all the different timer options I'm getting a little lost and confused.

45 REPLIES 45

loggedInUser=$( /bin/echo "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | /usr/sbin/scutil | /usr/bin/awk '/Name :/ { print $3 }' )

loggedInUserID=$( /usr/bin/id -u "${loggedInUser}" )

/bin/launchctl asuser "${loggedInUserID}" /bin/launchctl unload -w "/Library/LaunchAgents/com.github.macadmins.Nudge.plist"

Abhinav_mohan
New Contributor II

How do you change the apple logo on the left side pane ? trying to do it, couldn't find enough resources. Thanks in advance.

mnorris14
New Contributor

@vinu_thankachan The article below gives a great explanation of what you are seeing. StartCalendarInterval is looking for actual times so minute cannot be more than 59. If you put hour then it corresponds to an actual time so <hour>1</hour> would be 1am. If you don't have hour and only have <minute>30</minute> it will launch 30 minutes every hour. Hope this helps. I've found this out through my own trial and error.

https://alvinalexander.com/mac-os-x/launchd-plist-examples-startinterval-startcalendarinterval/

Sounds like you will want to utilize startinterval with seconds as opposed to startcalendarinterval

Abhinav_mohan
New Contributor II

Anyone have tried Deploying nudge with M1 machines ? Nudge doesn't download the minor OS update with M1 macs , with still "asynchronous software update" key set to false. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 7.49.52 PM.png