Nvivo for Mac

a_simmons
Contributor II

I was wondering if anyone has successfully packaged Nvivo for Mac? Using a snapshot I install Nvivo and register the program, when I install the program created from the snapshot I get prompted to register again. It doesn’t seem to be keeping the registration.

29 REPLIES 29

tsuter
New Contributor II

Good, glad to know it isn't just me. I suspect ultimately it will need to be deployed in the same fashion as a Windows unattended installation (http://techcenter.qsrinternational.com/techcenter.htm#nv10/nv10_unattended_command_line_installation.htm). I've gone through the contents of the app and can't see anything referencing activation and none of the internal binaries response to -help /? --help flags. Until the techcenter is updated with Mac app information I think we're on our own.

Of note: I package under a VM session. I packaged it and then reverted the VM to a pre install snapshot and then installed my Nvivo package I just created and the licensing held. Be interested to know if you could replicate it on your end.

denose
New Contributor

We had no success here with a snapshot installation either. Installed and licensed, then revert to before installation and deploy. Installed but not licensed.

a_simmons
Contributor II

I emailed QSR asking them about activating the license through the command line. There response was that at this stage the command line activation is currently unavailable in NVivo for Mac.

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

I've also been asked to look into packaging Nvivo I'll also try my hand at this and am also keen on how everyone deals with this piece of software.

denmoff
Contributor III

I had some luck with this on the beta version. I haven't revisited it since tho. I found that when the user first runs the software, a directory is attempted to be created in /Library/Application Support. This requires admin creds. The folder was really odd too. It appears as tho it is just '.' and it has a few weird files in it. I was able pre-load those files with the install policy so that the user didn't need to create them on first launch. This allowed the user to register with their info without admin.

GeorgeCasper
New Contributor III

Yeah, I've been trying to build a package as well, and all I've managed to achieve is elevated blood pressure. :)

I've posted on their (very quiet) forums to see if they have any response; meanwhile I'll try out denmoff's suggestion.

GeorgeCasper
New Contributor III

I've been experimenting with transplanting that funny "." folder around and what I've discovered is if it's removed and re-added to the same machine, NVivo works, but it doesn't seem to work when transplanted to a different machine; I'm guessing it's some kind of hash of the activation code + the machine's serial number or something.

GeorgeCasper
New Contributor III

When in doubt, contact support!

I contacted QSR support and they confirmed that there's no way of doing what we're trying to do, but that it's still a product under development and they're looking for feedback from customers. I guess all I can do is advocate for enterprise deployment functionality for the future, and foot-slog for the time being. :)

tsuter
New Contributor II

@GeorgeCasper][/url - Have you heard back from QSR on this yet? I think I found your thread on the QSR forum and following the reps advice I have logged a Support request. Just curious how serious they were about capturing requirements for deployment.

Edit: Received a response today. Seems to be a copy/paste of the same answer given on the QSR Forum thread:

Thank you for contacting QSR.

This is the first commercial release of NVivo for Mac and deployment (silent activation/installation etc.) is currently unsupported.

I have raised your query with our Product team and they are very interested in working with site administrators to understand your deployment needs on the Mac platform.

Someone from our development team may get in touch with you to gather more information on how you currently install/activate other Mac products. Please let me know if this is ok with you.

We plan to release regular free updates in the coming months to introduce more features and functionality in NVivo for Mac.

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

Simon?Browne??Customer Services & Support Consultant

a_simmons
Contributor II

Has there been any updates on this? Has any body been able to package it for deployment yet?

stevevalle
Contributor III

I packaged Nvivo successfully a couple of weeks ago. So painful :)

There is a hidden folder in /Library/Application Support/ called ztmx There are 4 files in this folder
.aZkvPgdsh .HfrqtETfds .LxITTedNfzG .WjRGUNzQ0uh

These files are all needed for registration to stick.

Hope this helps.

tsuter
New Contributor II

Have you actually installed your package onto another machine? I think you'll find what you've packaged will only work on the machine you captured the original installation on.

PeterClarke
Contributor II

Yes, Nvivo say their application is in an 'experimental state'.

The licensing component, is not yet really supported on Mac..

We Packaged it up for STAFF use - inside a folder, into the /Applications/Nvivo/Nvivo.app
along with a PDF, with instructions that say, Run up the program, then TYPE in this License Number...

Rather crude.. But it's a solution of sorts..

stevevalle
Contributor III

@tsuter - Yes, I tested it on 3 different macs before making it available on self service. The application is activated on all machines. We do have a site license (not sure if that makes a difference)

@PeterClarke - You are right. I asked Nvivo for assistance in the packaging process. They were unable to assist, saying that mass deployment was not supported.

denose
New Contributor

@stevevalle Thank you, these instructions have worked for us to deploy onto more machines than the first one and still be registered :)

a_simmons
Contributor II

@stevevalle – I tested creating a package with the Nvivo app and the .ztmx folder. When I push it to the same Mac it works fine but when I install in on another Mac I still have to enter the license activation code. The details for the license activation form that were packaged are still there but it still has to be activated.

denmoff
Contributor III

@a.simmons were you prompted for admin creds to do the activation? Getting passed the admin prompt was enough for me. I doubt you'll get any further than that.

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

I've attempted to package the software and deploy it to a workstation in a lab for testing but am still getting the welcome / setup screen when Nvivo is first started up.

I've also deployed the 4 required files under the hidden folder /Library/Application Support/.?ztmx

But the registration of Nvivo which was packaged doesn't seem to stick.

Anyone else having issues with packaging and or deploying Nvivo?

a_simmons
Contributor II

The web site has been updated with instructions on unattended command line installations for the Mac.

http://techcenter.qsrinternational.com/techcenter.htm#nv10/nv10_unattended_command_line_installation.htm

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link @a.simmons I'm going to re-attempt to package and deploy Nvivo 10

stevevalle
Contributor III

@maktime The Mac link is:

http://techcenter.qsrinternational.com/techcenter.htm#nm10/nm10_mass_deployment.htm

I got an email last week with the link. Easy to deploy and works a treat!

ianmb
Contributor

Can somebody walk me through the recommended workflow? We'd like to use Composer to package this if at all possible.

I downloaded the DMG, took an initial snapshot, then installed into /Applications and stuffed in the activation file as per the guidance in the link above before taking a final snapshot and creating a PKG. I uploaded this and a small script (containing the command to initialise and activate the license key) into Casper Admin and created a Self Service policy but users still get prompted to activate on first launch.

Look
Valued Contributor III

Make a snapshot installer that includes a valid

/Applications/NVivo.app/Contents/MacOS/Activation.xml

You can download a sample one from Nvivo

Follow it with a script that does the following

/Applications/NVivo.app/Contents/MacOS/NVivo -initialize MY_NVIVO_SERIAL_NUMBER -activate /Applications/NVivo.app/Contents/MacOS/Activation.xml

The biggest issue is the Activation.xml is incredibly picky and the values have to match exactly with what Nvivo expects especially the country code and it depends on the country as to whether it would be NZ or USA versus New Zealand or America so you need to check their site for your country.

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Hi all, Sorry to be opening up an old discussion. I am currently packaging this up as well. After the NVivo gets installed (just copied to Applications folder), when opening, it ask for admin privileges to make changes. How do I go past this? Some of our users don't have admin rights to their Macbooks.

tinsun
New Contributor II

@Bernard.Huang I've packaged the licensing files using composer and deploy them at the install (and when a new license file is needed). If they are in place, no admin will be needed, if I remember correctly. You could also add something like

open "/Applications/nVivo.app"

under Execute Command in the policy. That opens the program with admin privs on first launch. I'm using that method for matlab, since our users aren't admins but it needs to be ran as admin at first launch.
Hope that helps.

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

Does anyone have any advice for disabling auto-updates?

arjanhuis
New Contributor III

@Look this still seems to work for NVivo 12 but the app name is slightly different:

Make a snapshot installer that includes a valid

/Applications/NVivo 12.app/Contents/MacOS/Activation.xml

You can download a sample one from Nvivo:
http://techcenter.qsrinternational.com/desktop/nm12/nm12_mass_deployment.htm

Follow it with a script that does the following

/Applications/NVivo 12.app/Contents/MacOS/NVivo 12 -initialize MY_NVIVO_SERIAL_NUMBER -activate /Applications/NVivo 12.app/Contents/MacOS/Activation.xml

Slawford
New Contributor III

Anyone having much luck with packaging the latest version of NVivo? Using the method mentioned above (with the updated file path) does not seem to work. Keep getting prompted to Activate on first launch..... ughh

I was finding that the activation call would "succeed" even with an invalid xml path, which would lead to the behaviour that you are experiencing (the application would present the activation window on first launch with the key already populated). If I called the command again manually, it would say my key was already initialized. However, my -activate path was initially not properly escaping spaces (ex 'NVivo\ 12.app'), so the activation.xml was not being passed properly (but no error was presented either). Once I corrected the xml path, everything behaved properly.