NYC Metro JAMF User Group : The Threequel

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

All,

We are in the final stages of securing space for the 3rd Meeting of the NYC Metro JAMF User Group. As of now it's looking like it will be the week ending June 28th, and most likely on Thursday June 26th.

As soon as that is locked up, we will open registration for everyone. All admins are welcome to join in, especially if they happen to be in town visiting from elsewhere.

the last 2 meetings we had presentations from the Enterprise side of the group, this time we will be hearing an Edu Admin's story, as well as hopefully having some special guests.

Watch this space, more soon

--M

8 REPLIES 8

pblake
Contributor III

Looking forward to it. Was very sad to miss the last one.

Wakko
Contributor II

Looks like I'll have to stop by.

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/userGroup.html?id=20

Link is up, come and get it! Registration ends on 6/23 so we get a proper headcount for grub. Only thing i do request that is if you sign up and cannot attend, please let me know because we had way too much extra pizza last time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

tomt
Valued Contributor

There are some of us that would go to great lengths to enjoy that "extra" NY Pizza.

:-)

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

JAMF ordered enough pies for us to feed an army, which in the suburbs where we could take some home, it would have been awesome, but on NYC public transit, its less so. Was really good pizza too :)

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey all, Good crowd coming so far, but figured i'd give this one more bump before next weeks deadline. Hope to see you there!

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Last chance to register: We are closing up signups at 5pm Eastern today. If you are planning on attending, please sign up now.

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey all, first things first, want to say thanks to all that attended.

This session was heavily focused on add-ons that have been created in the JAMF community to extend automation to places that are at present not available "out of the box" via Casper Suite.

Leveraging the API, there are many great tools created by the Mac community that play great with Casper, and during the JUG Meeting, we had a chance to discuss not only how one of our fellow admins is leveraging some of these tools, but had one of the developers of one of these great add-ons on hand to give a quick demo of how it works.

Raul Santos (@RaulSantos][/url][/url][/url) from Weill Cornell Medical College gave a quick presentation on how he is leveraging Casper at a major medical school. He discussed how being at an edu site comes with some unique challenges towards end user management, and how he is leveraging community sourced tools like AutoPKG to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to patch management.

Raul's presentation was the perfect segway to introduce Allister Banks (/url][/url][/url">@Banks][/url][/url][/url) further demo of AutoPKG, and the JSSImporter for AutoPKG, an add-on he created for Casper that imports packages that were automated with AutoPKG into the JSS for distribution. it can be found here : [http://www.318.com/2014/01/introducing-jssimporter-for-autopkg/

I will be posting the presentations as soon as i get them from Raul and Allister, and i thank them for their time.

Post-Pizza Open Discussion items:

JAMFCloud - who is using presently, and what options are there out in the real world for securing LDAP in a 2 factor authentication world.

DFS - who is using at their site, and issue.

SMB slowness- question was posed if anyone was seeing issues with SMB, especially with Mavericks. discussion steered towards the known issues with SMB2.

JDS - Still some mixed results with the JDS in the real world.

802.1x Profiles and Casper 9 - Discussed the ongoing issues with 802.1x Profiles and Casper 9.

Yosemite - Touched on where most of the group was in their testing of 10.10.

Overall, it was a great turn out, with some new faces and a minimum of extra Pizza. We will see about other munchables for the next event, including some gluten free/vegan options.

I'm shooting for end of August for the next meeting, unless that is bad for the Education folks who attend. Please let me know and we can plan accordingly.

thanks again to all that came by, I hope to see you all at the next event.

--MM