Off Topic - Final Cut Pro / Server

jafuller
Contributor

Ok. So Apple has now discontinued Final Cut Server. Anyone out there using a video asset system that is similar in feature and functionality?
FCPx appears to be a bit of a nightmare for those who have transitioned from a previous version of FCP. Any feedback here?

I've been tasked with assisting our web, marketing and creative teams in bringing in a video asset system. They were already using Final Cut Server, but now that seems to be a lost cause. Help.

--
James Fuller | Starbucks Coffee Company | Technology Application Services | application developer II
E: jafuller at starbucks.com<mailto:jafuller at starbucks.com> | V: 206.318.7153 | F: 206.318.0155

Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.

5 REPLIES 5

noah_swanson
New Contributor

I'm sure the iCloud will feature some great final cut capabilities with your iOS devices ;-)

jafuller
Contributor

Dude, you're killing me. :)

--
James Fuller | Technology Application Services | application developer II

sean
Valued Contributor

We aren't using it, but I've heard good things about CatDV

http://www.squarebox.co.uk/

Sean

jafuller
Contributor

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

--
James Fuller | Technology Application Services | application developer II

Not applicable

Ok. So Apple has now discontinued Final Cut Server. Anyone out there using a video asset system that is similar in feature and functionality?
On Jun 23, 2011, at 10:46 AM, James Fuller wrote:
FCPx appears to be a bit of a nightmare for those who have transitioned from a previous version of FCP. Any feedback here?

It's been a while since I used Final Cut Server, but I recall it was a Java-based client, with some native gui widgets. It doesn't have a snowball's chance of being resurrected unless the client is ported to Cocoa.

Apple has been quite unyielding in cutting Java support - they killed off the WebObjects developer tools (which were Java based) a few years ago with a lot of complaints.

--Jim