Office 2016 - A way to disable the activation prompt?

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

I understand Office 2016 is still in preview but I was just curious if any one here was able to disable the prompt to activate Office 2016 and still maintained proper Office 365 licensing?

I don't think with Microsoft's licensing structure for Office 365 it is possible to disable and maintain licensing but figured I would ask.

6 REPLIES 6

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I imagine it will be possible when they come out with a volume licensed version or a serialized version of it.

sanaumann
New Contributor III

We don't have Office 365, but my understanding is that as long as you continue to update the preview version until the release, you won't be prompted to activate it. I do an automatic update on it weekly and no issues.

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

@sanaumann

Thanks for your post.

I apologize if I didn't make it clear in my initial post. What I meant was I wanted to see if there is a way to prevent the activation prompt from coming up for the first user to login to the machine to activate the software.

We have been able to maintain the Office Preview automatically after that point with no issue. We just can bypass the initial activation.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

@ShaunM9483 Are you a 365 customer? I was under the impression you always need to activate that first time with your 365 credentials (unless its a volume license).

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Since it's an Office 365 preview it's going to require Office 365 activation. I imagine a volume license version available from MS for enterprise will have a key like the Office 2011 installs.

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

I don't think it will be possible to disable the prompt if you are using Office 365 user based licensing like we are. Office for windows does the same thing, except on windows there is a single sign on client you can install so you can make it seamless with ADFS integration.

The good news is office 2016 only prompts for the first office app, not all 5. Not sure how often it will re-prompt, I haven't seen any documentation yet.