Office 2016 for Mac v15.13.1 Repeatedly Crashes on OS X 10.10.4

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

I've created a DMG from Composer and tested this as an upgrade from 15.12.3 to 15.13.1 but getting the following errors (see below). This problem also surfaces if the Office Suite is installed using the unaltered PKG directly from Office 365.

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION
Date/Time: 2015-08-13 15:51:54 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Excel
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Excel
Application Signature: XCEL
Application TimeStamp: 0x55c4b13a
Application Version: 15.13.1.150807
Crashed Module Name: MicrosoftSetupUI
Crashed Module Version: 15.13.1.150807
Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000b1a8
Blame Module Name: MicrosoftSetupUI
Blame Module Version: 15.13.1.150807
Blame Module TimeStamp: 0x55c4b12d
Blame Module Offset: 0x000000000000b1a8
StachHash: ffffd3fe
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Crashed thread: 25

Operating System Information
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.10.4 (Build 14E46)
CPU: Intel x86, Logical CPU Count: 4, Frequency: 1400 MHz
Physical Memory: 8192 MB
Device: x86_64
Screen: 1440.000000 x 900.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 0.000000, 0.000000, 1440.000000, 900.000000

Microsoft Application Information:
Error Reporting UUID: D19AC2FD-A94D-4999-9374-4E4F8C988878
ULS UUID: 14A20C0F-3F45-4861-A4BF-A20010B044A4
Time from launch: 0 hours, 0 minutes, 57 seconds
Total errors on this client: 5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

@gachowski Yes yes yes! Same here :

We found that checking "Install on boot drive after imaging” (Casper Admin>Options) in the package settings did the trick as well. Glad to hear others can confirm as well. #CaseClosed

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Are you doing and snapshot capture with Composer?

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

@bpavlov Yup! Same process that I follow for all other installations/package creations. I received the PKG directly from my Office 365 Settings page (https://portal.office.com/OLS/MySoftware.aspx). Here are the steps I took following this.

c336d8f969af4f6da6ec5deb439179f9

1. I rolled back my VMWare Fusion v7.1.2 Virtual Machine to my base OS X 10.10.4.
  2. Opened Composter and took a snapshot.
  3. Copied the PKG from my native OS and over to the VM.
  4. Performed the installation from the PKG.
  5. Completed the snapshot and generated a DNG file.
  6. Opened Casper Admin and uploaded the DNG file.
  7. Indexed then saved the changes made in Casper Admin.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I'm not deploying it in that fashion so I can't speak to what the issue you're having is specifically. However if you use the installer provided by Microsoft it should work without any modification. Am I right to assume that you are deploying the 365 version of Office 2016?

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

@bpavlov Office 2016 is currently deployed as v15.12.3 and users are prompted to upgraded. When using the Auto Installer from Microsoft, the error is not present. Given that the DMG is more efficient with deployments, we've typically used them for Office deployments. The strange issue here is that the same error is produced regardless of which file extension is used. I suspect something is wrong with the Office 365 installer extracted from the page mentioned above (https://portal.office.com/OLS/MySoftware.aspx).

htse
Contributor III

While I can understand the desire for efficient deployments, I would agree with @bpavlov, using the Microsoft-supplied pkg installer is the more efficient option. A Composer snapshot is only a point-in-time capture of the changes in the file system. While the package can include and execute scripts as part of the pre- and post-install process, which create create files and folders, that are system-specific or otherwise manipulate other system files and settings.

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

@htse Right and I totally agree. This problem still continues to plague me even when the Microsoft Office 365-issued PKG is used. Any ideas?

htse
Contributor III

I see. In that case, my process for that would be to test the installer package on an known good system that isn't subject to Casper processing, to see if the installer is actually working on a known good system. Creating throwaway Linked Clones of a VMware virtual machine with just OS X installation works well. If it is kosher, then you'd have the unfortunate task of working backwards.

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Upon further investigation, the Microsoft-issued PKG file appears to be fine. I'm currently testing this in my VM while the DMG finishes building in Composer. I figured it wouldn't hurt running all Office applications while I wait an eternity. Total time elapsed is currently at about 5 minutes and no crash to speak of. The crashes that I was experiencing before would populate either instantly or after about 1 minute of usage.

Worth noting: the DMG has been trimmed down and only contains files contained with the Applications directory. Stay tuned!

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Richard Purves has a blog on how to package the VL version of Office for deployment using Packages:

http://www.richard-purves.com/?p=79

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

RESOLVED: PKG uploaded to Casper Admin worked! We typically use DMGs for this application and did for 15.12.3 and it worked like a gem. #usererror

sgoetz
Contributor

@RobertHammen So reading that link, there is a Volume License version of 2016 out? I thought it was only the o365 version that required users to activate using their o365 email address?

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

@sgoetz Yes, there is a Volume License edition, but it is stupid and doesn't properly install said license if no user is logged in when the installer runs (i.e. at imaging), hence the workarounds listed above. And note that removing said files turns the VLA version into an Office 365 version ;-)

franton
Valued Contributor III

Thanks for the shoutout @RobertHammen !

Yeah the Volume Licence is literally just the one file. All of the installation headaches come from the main installation packages post install scripts, as they do crazy things like check to see if a user is logged in and then not install the licence if nobody is. (!)

However if you deploy the updates one by one in a big package then deploy the licence file, you're golden. Hence my blog.

Goober22
New Contributor III

I have the same issue with the Microsoft applications crashing, although my applications are crashing when I am bringing them from bring minimized to trying to use them. The window won't restore and the application crashes. This is almost every time I do this action.

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

UPDATE: the PKG file does not seem to work at all when deployed via our base image but works fine thru Self Service as a PKG. Anyone else experiencing this issue with the PKG as a part of their base image?

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

It works fine for us, however it didn't work unless we checked the box "install on boot drive after imaging" (thank you Adobe)

C

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

@gachowski Yes yes yes! Same here :

We found that checking "Install on boot drive after imaging” (Casper Admin>Options) in the package settings did the trick as well. Glad to hear others can confirm as well. #CaseClosed

tep
Contributor II

We've run into a bit of a problem: when we check "Install on boot drive after imaging”, the machine fails to boot. We get the black screen with the Apple logo, and then the circle with a line through it. When "Install on boot drive after imaging” is unchecked, the machine boots fine, but the Office Apps don't open (report and installation issue).

We're using the Microsoft pkg, uploaded into Casper Admin (9.82). The pkg works fine in a policy, just not at imaging. Is anyone else seeing this?