Old JAMF binary version installed on re-imaged macbooks

jqcampbell
New Contributor II

We have had some Macbooks come back from repair. They were originally deployed as Snow Leopard machines, but we are now imaging with a Lion image (10.7.3). It was my understanding that we should be able to simply change the image configuration in the Autorun Data to match our current configuration for the particular school we are re-deploying to and netboot. This does install the correct image yet...

The issue that we are having is that an old version of the JAMF binary (8.0) not the current (8.4) is being installed on these MacBooks that were already a part of the JSS and were imaged using the updated Autorun Data. This is in turn preventing the Macbook from updating in the JSS and Casper Remote is unable to push scripts to these machines. We are also unable to run a successful recon from the macbook terminal. It gives a "This request requires HTTP authentication" error from the server when it attempts to write to the JSS.

We have attempted to delete and recreate the Autorun Data for a macbook and re-image yet it still installs the v8.0 binary.

I realize that I could just remove the computer from the JSS and re-image out of a prestage, but we would like to retain the asset tag data, purchasing information, etc. tied to the computer in the JSS. I may be incorrect, but I thought that would be one of the reasons for this Autorun data to begin with.

We are not sure if we are just missing a check box or something greater. Any help would be appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bajones
Contributor II

I don't remember if this makes a difference or not, but is your Casper Imaging application updated in your netboot image?

View solution in original post

jqcampbell
New Contributor II

All is well....

Our unmanaged issue stems from using parent/child imaging configurations in Casper admin. It would seem that the settings of the parent configuration break after an update and the parent contains the "Ensure that computers imaged with this configuration are managed" checkbox and settings. We decided to stop using children configurations until this issue is resolved. Thanks for the help.

The solution is found in this thread:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3724

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bajones
Contributor II

I don't remember if this makes a difference or not, but is your Casper Imaging application updated in your netboot image?

andrewseago
Contributor

The version of the Casper Binary that is installed on a newly imaged system comes from Casper Imaging. If the version of Casper Imaging that you are using does not match your JSS Web App version it will automatically "Upgrade" to its version.

jqcampbell
New Contributor II

Thanks. I believe we are still running the original one created in 8.0. That's a good thought we will check on that and reply on our findings.

jqcampbell
New Contributor II

We have revamped our net boot image and the re-imaged macbook using auto run data now uses the correct Jamf Binary (5.1). Unfortunately we seem to have another issue. When I attempt to use Casper Remote to do a remote package install we now receive a "Could not connect to the JSS. Status - 401" error. I think this error was shrouded by the binary issue since it checks that before it attempts to talk to the JSS.

Our JSS has always remained on the same domain, but has changed physical servers since this macbook was imaged originally. I wouldn't figure this would matter, but it's the only other thing I can think of that may cause this issue.

Simply deleting the Autorun data for the computer does not seem to rectify the issue. The only way we can overcome the issue is to completely delete the macbook out of the JSS and add it to a prestage or image it manually. We would like to avoid doing so because we lose associated Purchase Order and Asset Tag information.

jqcampbell
New Contributor II

All is well....

Our unmanaged issue stems from using parent/child imaging configurations in Casper admin. It would seem that the settings of the parent configuration break after an update and the parent contains the "Ensure that computers imaged with this configuration are managed" checkbox and settings. We decided to stop using children configurations until this issue is resolved. Thanks for the help.

The solution is found in this thread:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3724