open Self Service via email link

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

forgive me if im going mad but im sure someone told me there was a trick to send a link via email which ill open the Self Service.app on the machine.

Does anyone know of this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We've been using this link and it's worked well for us:

selfservice://localhost

View solution in original post

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

@rtrouton thanks very much

ive been looking at this FR https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=395

i managed to get mine working by

1.open Self Service and in the Run / Install button drag it to the desktop

2.opened terminal and dragged the Run.inetloc in to terminal

1. In terminal it then showed selfservice://product=XXXX

4.I then opened my email client and included a hyperlink

1. Sent an email to myself and Self Service then runs the policy :)

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We've been using this link and it's worked well for us:

selfservice://localhost

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

@rtrouton thanks very much

ive been looking at this FR https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=395

i managed to get mine working by

1.open Self Service and in the Run / Install button drag it to the desktop

2.opened terminal and dragged the Run.inetloc in to terminal

1. In terminal it then showed selfservice://product=XXXX

4.I then opened my email client and included a hyperlink

1. Sent an email to myself and Self Service then runs the policy :)

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

This is a neat trick! Does anyone know how to make it work using the web interface in Gmail? It works great from Apple Mail but no dice in Gmail's web interface.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Great tip on the URL. Using 8.7.3 and we have users login to Self Service with their AD credentials. Problem is that with this config, the URL opens Self Service and then it crashes.
If Self Service is already open, it works without crashing. If this is a supported method, I should file a bug with JAMF.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Works fine on 9.22 with no login required for Self Service

scottb
Honored Contributor

I don't suppose you could change the requirement to test on 9.22 for the login piece?
Probably not worth filing a bug for 8.x any longer…

yan1212
Contributor

The behaviour boettchs is describing is exactly the same for me in 9.22. Self Service crashes if users are required to log in when clicking the link.

This is a very nice feature however and I can definitely see its potential in a support context. It would be nice if it could tie in with Notification Centre, like other apps do.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@yan1212: Good idea on NC. It would be nice to have this for new packages without having to use email (which likely get ignored anyway). Wondering - can that sort of thing be a persistent or a recurring notice?

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

@yan1212][/url Thats a great idea if it could tie in with NC. Feature request??? I would.. but i've trodden on a few toes lately :(

yan1212
Contributor

Just submitted this as a feature request.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1832

SeanA
Contributor III

The email link works well on JSS 9.30 with Self Service not requiring login:

The behavior that I have seen when opening the application up via selfservice://localhost
If the application is closed, it will open up the application.
If the application is open, but the window is closed, it only brings up the application to the forefront (it does not re-open the window).

Behavior that I have seen when opening up a policy via selfservice://product=xxxx
If the application is closed, it will open up the application AND run the policy automatically (even if I have Self Service configured to ensure that the user views the description).
If the application is open, but the window is closed, it only brings up the application to the forefront (it does not re-open the window); the policy automatically runs (even if I have Self Service configured to ensure that the user views the description).

mackin_j
New Contributor

I would like to be able to launch Self Service from a link on our company intranet.

I tried putting selfservice://localhost in Safari and i'm getting prompted to "Choose Application", after I manually choose "Self Service" it seems to work.

I guess I need a script to register selfservice with Safari on all my Macs? Anyone else doing something similar?

Thanks!

apizz
Valued Contributor

@mackin_j If I manually enter the address in either Safari or Chrome it doesn't work for me. But if I click on a hyperlink in an email pointing to selfservice://localhost from an email it works.

Haven't tried embedding in a page though. [Self Service Test](selfservice://localhost)

apizz
Valued Contributor

^^ my link above works for opening Self Service for me as well.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

don't think you need the word localhost in the hyperlink.
@emilykausalik posted about this not long ago and it's been working for me quite well as just selfservice://

mackin_j
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses.

After further testing, I found that selfservice://localhost does not work in Safari if Self Service hasn't been launched at least once. I am getting the following message:2cfda59d69714147ad8fd77939c2bee6

Any ideas on how to fix this without having to launch Self Service manually on all of my Macs?

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

You could script the opening of Self Service...

#!/bin/sh

open /Applications/Self Service.app

dcav
New Contributor

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

I know this is old. And maybe this has been answered but is there a way/method to add a self-service policy link in a google doc?  I tried this: jamfselfservice://content?entity=policy&id=xxx&action=execute

But it will not save.

Thank you all.

Is there a "hyperlink" function in google docs? You would just edit it there and add the hyperlink and you can also then change the text to say something else if you wanted

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

wow this thread is still going?

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

Our issue was that our google docs are tied to an organization and not externally assessable to all or everyone. 

So I am good now.