Open SSL Version used by Jamf?

jamf_rixi
New Contributor II

I got a script containing encryption to be used in a policy on Jamf (v10.71). When I excecute the script locally on the test device it uses openssl 1.1.1, when I execute the script on the same test machine, but initiated by a Jamf policy it uses openssl 0.9.8 8 (and subsequently fails due to unknown commands).

How can I force Jamf to use openssl 1.1.1 when executing the script?54ec600888884dc8a1ec29ee7fbb864c
cc4b540e4c1f4c77bccf522af48225bc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bartlomiejsojka
Contributor
Contributor

Use which openssl locally and within your Jamf policy to verify, whether you use OpenSSL from the same PATH (probably not 🙃). Do you have some custom path while Jamf gets it from /usr/bin? What is the OS version BTW, as on Mojave openssl version gives LibreSSL 2.6.5 🤔.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

bartlomiejsojka
Contributor
Contributor

Use which openssl locally and within your Jamf policy to verify, whether you use OpenSSL from the same PATH (probably not 🙃). Do you have some custom path while Jamf gets it from /usr/bin? What is the OS version BTW, as on Mojave openssl version gives LibreSSL 2.6.5 🤔.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

Specify the full path of openssl that you want to use in your script, it's as easy as that.

jamf_rixi
New Contributor II

Thanks for your responses. Jamf uses the default installation for Sierra (0.9.8). My test machine seems to have an additional installation I was unaware of (1.1.1).
I will have to find the common denominator then. I want the script to run on macs with Sierra or higher in their default configuration but I don't plan on distributing openSSL or similar with the script. That means I will have to remove some of the newer options to make it functional on 0.9.8.

Thanks again!!