OS X Lion

kylegriffin
New Contributor

I noticed the thread on here regarding Lion details revealed at WWDC. I'm surprised nobody's been discussing some of the other non-demonstrated features that Apple's listed for Lion:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

There are few interesting changes which caught my eye that may be of value to Enterprise OS X users:

* FileVault 2 is now full-disk encryption and does encryption of external USB/FireWire devices

* Mail, iCal and Address Book support Exchange 2010, including the ability to set an Exchange vacation message via Mail

* Support for DFS URLs, drill-down, failover, and reconnects for Windows file servers

* Remotely log into a Mac with any user account and control it without interrupting a current user under a different login (Terminal Services lite?)

That support especially for DFS is what I've been waiting for most. Sounds like as rumored Apple may have dropped SaMBa and wrote their own that actually understands DFS, so no more need for DAVE or ADmitMac or the like for Macs to access DFS shares. The others though are also some very welcome changes I've been looking for to make them better Windows corporate citizens. Can't say it's enough to make me excited, but definitely takes a couple major pain points off my list.

Kyle Griffin
Virteva
5775 Wayzata Boulevard, Suite 900
Minneapolis, MN 55416
P 952.843.1149 | F 952.843.1201
kyle.griffin at virteva.com<mailto:kyle.griffin at virteva.com>
[Description: virteva_logo_transparent]
IT on your terms www.virteva.com

![external image link](attachments/92eb8ab8fe1e4f9997bd7333abe927ee)

9 REPLIES 9

nessts
Valued Contributor II

I think technically anybody who knows how they really work, I.e. in the seed program or developer program that have been running it already can technically discuss any of it outside of an apple forum.

--
Todd Ness
Technology Consultant/Non-Windows Services
Americas Regional Delivery Engineering
HP Enterprise Services

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Apple's NDA is in full effect until release of the OS. If Apple's publicly talked about a feature, it's fair game for discussion to the level of detail that Apple has discussed in public (basically, if it's been published on their website or was mentioned in the keynote). Otherwise, all other content is under NDA.

Please be mindful.

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

kylegriffin
New Contributor

I'm not asking anyone to break NDA and tell me all about these additional features, and I don't think I even worded it that way. I'm just surprised everyone seems to be focusing on just this one feature (how to deploy if it's not available on CD) and not mentioning/discussing other features of the new OS Apple public posted yesterday but wasn't mentioned in the Keynote, that they're excited to know more, what sort of pains it may solve for them, letting others on the list know Apple's posted this list, etc.

Kyle Griffin
Virteva
Minneapolis, MN 55416
kyle.griffin at virteva.com<mailto:kyle.griffin at virteva.com>
[Description: virteva_logo_transparent]
IT on your terms www.virteva.com<x-msg://441/www.virteva.com>

![external image link](attachments/e0eb7c2f5e13450db87dc045a75bd952)

kylegriffin
New Contributor

I'm not asking anyone to break NDA and tell me all about these additional features, and I don't think I even worded it that way. I'm just surprised everyone seems to be focusing on just this one feature (how to deploy if it's not available on CD) and not mentioning/discussing other features of the new OS Apple public posted yesterday but wasn't mentioned in the Keynote, that they're excited to know more, what sort of pains it may solve for them, letting others on the list know Apple's posted this list, etc.

Kyle Griffin
Virteva
Minneapolis, MN 55416
kyle.griffin at virteva.com

IT on your terms   www.virteva.com

talkingmoose

Ater re-reading your original post I don't believe you were asking anyone
On 6/7/11 11:19 AM, "Griffin, Kyle" <Kyle.Griffin at virteva.com> wrote:
to divulge information that's not published. But I can see Jared's
concern. Threads here and on other lists are already rampant with folks
posting information or links to information about topics that are still
under NDA.

You're right. Let's discuss what Apple's announced because some of it is
really cool stuff. But we should all be mindful that it needs to stop
there. Speculation isn't very helpful and I'd hope we all certainly don't
want folks violating Apple's NDA.

Jared's and my comments aren't directed at you (at least mine aren't).
They're just inserted *here*. :-)

With that said, I'm really looking forward to FDE and DFS support myself
and curious to see if JAMF will be able to integrate them into their
product. That would be totally sweet! I'm also contemplating allowing
folks to use their own Magic Trackpads at work to take advantage of
gestures. TBD, though.

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

My concern also wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Typical speculative discussions and easily (and often do) tread into NDA territory. I've had to censor myself at work on a number of occasions already. I do know of particular instances where Apple's yanked developer membership due to NDA violation with zero warning. Don't want that happening to anyone just because we're all excited about the shiny new stuff.

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

Not applicable

I think the reason people don't seem particularly excited about these features is because not having some form of mass install process is a deal-breaker.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm sure an image is coming. Once new Macs ship they'll likely be Lion only, I doubt Apple will have us reimaging Snow Leopard and running to the App Store to upgrade to Lion. Stranger things have happened though...I'm comfortable knowing JAMF are on it... ;)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I'm guessing there will be a option in the upgrade process to create a copy of the installer on some kind of removable media.

Maybe hidden under a customise button?

Regards,

Ben.