OS X Yosemite Migration Plan

kwsenger
Contributor

Milton is upgrading all clients to 10.10 starting with teachers-labs-students.
We are using a Cache Policy / Install Policy via http.
What are other Districts planning?

Karl Senger
School District of Milton

7 REPLIES 7

justinrummel
Contributor III

That is a great plan. For installing are you doing Self Service so the teachers can choose when to install Yosemite? Also, be sure to download the latest from the App Store. If you have a copy of 10.10 on your machine since October it may now be out of date. Delete it and re-download from MAS.

- Justin

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

I will note that there are still two major issues (the AD frozen boot bug, and the Wifi/Bluetooth bug) in the current release of YoYo. You may consider waiting until its slightly more stable.

That said, push the most recent version possible (as Justin mentioned), you are only saving yourself work in the long run.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Sean_M_Harper, the hang on boot issue I cannot replicate.. It may be only for FV2 Mac's.

There is also another issue with Office apps crashing when Adobe CC or CS6 apps are installed. This doesn't happen when upgrading to 10.10.1 from 10.10, only happens with a 10.10.1 install.

So may be better to go 10.10 to 10.10.1

daz_wallace
Contributor III

+1 for @Sean_M_Harper

We've had the AD hang on boot issue at two AD sites and I'm afraid neither were running File Vault :(
As always, YMMV so as long as the testing in your site is good, good luck!

Darren

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@daz_dar, ok.. The other thing that may be different with us is that we're reverting CoreStorage. Would these Macs have CoreStroage enabled?

daz_wallace
Contributor III

We're running the Macs as vanilla as possible so in all likelihood I think you may have a valid theory!

I'll pass around our office and we can test at our next chance. Cheers @bentoms!

Darren

mtward
New Contributor III

I work with thread originator, Karl - I haven't seen the AD bug mentioned but we don't have a large amount of Macs on 10.10 AD bound, and no FV2 or reverted CoreStorage volumes.

The cache/install cache method seems to have been the right choice and has worked well in an environment like ours with 1000+ portables constantly changing AP's and the lid opening/closing every 30 minutes as class changes. The only real annoyance is that if the 10.10 cache policy couldn't fully download before they close the lid, the policy fails and auto-resume of the HTTP download does NOT happen until the failed policies are flushed. After flushed, the download resumes where it left off.

As of right now the cache is ready to install on all machines once we scope the install cache policy. So far about 75 machines have updated (slowly controlling the amount of actual installs) and been running 10.10 for a week with no problem.

Luckily, The WiFi woes (more specifically the new discoveryd process) that have been documented haven't shown up for us yet..

See you guys tonight if you're going to the user event in Janesville!

- Matthew
School District of Milton