OS X Yosemite

Araneta
New Contributor III

Any first take? What to watch for? Positive or Negative feedbacks?

99 REPLIES 99

andyinindy
Contributor II

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

+1

johnnasset
Contributor

@znilsson

I just cloned my existing 10.9 restricted software process and modified the process name to:

Install OS X Yosemite

I'm guessing it will work fine but won't know until it's available on the App Store.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Something like "Install OS X Yosemite" will work... until someone renames the installer application to something else. then it won't work. The reason is because the executable isn't called "Install OS X Yosemite". Its called "InstallAssistant". Install OS X Yosemite is the name of the app bundle. So unfortunately, at the moment at least, blocking "InstallAssistant" seems to be the only truly reliable way to stop it from running.
Its unfortunate that it will also stop Mavericks installations, but we actually control that on our managed Macs anyway.

ProfFrnswrth
New Contributor II

andyinindy
Contributor II

FYI it's now live on the App Store...

mm2270

I see it now, but if I click on the "Free" button it tells me "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later." Anyone else seeing that? Or is it downloading for everyone else and its just me?
I wanted to d/l to test our Restricted Software process. At the moment, it looks like the App Store is doing a good job of not allowing it to download all by itself. :)

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Getting the same thing, @mm2270. I was worried that it was because my machine is on a Beta version, but it looks like it's not just me (phew). I want to get some of my users on it and playing around before I leave for the JNUC so I hope it works today…

Araneta
New Contributor III

@mm2270 I just tried downloading this as well(NZ) and I'm getting the same error. So I guess it's just freaking out with too many download requests. :)

ProfFrnswrth
New Contributor II

Just started downloading for me. 12 hours though -.-

scottb
Honored Contributor

50% done here. 5.16GB.
14A389 is the final build number.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Just kidding. Clicked the link just now and magic is happening!

external image link

I can't wait to see that number slowly creep up rather than down due to other people figuring it out and starting their downloads…

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Downloaded for me in about 6 minutes. I doubt that'll be the case within the next hour as people start downloading though.

mm2270

Yeah, I guess I just clicked to soon. itchy clicky finger. Its downloading for me now as well. Temporary blip. :)

johnnasset
Contributor

Yep super fast for me as well. Averaged about 17 mb/s here at the office.

mm2270

Confirmed success with our Restricted Software in place. The install downloaded, opened automatically and before I clicked on 2 continue buttons it shut down and the Restricted Software message appeared.
So, blocking "InstallAssistant" still works as expected with the final release.

I'll be curious to hear how others are faring with blocking other processes. There's certainly more than one way to do it.

jstrauss
Contributor

Is anyone's FileVault status in Yosemite still being reported incorrectly in 9.6? I'm fully encrypted but the JSS still shows No Partitions Encrypted.

znilsson
Contributor II

@mm2270 - I confirmed it also. I hadn't put my own Mac into an exception list yet, so when Yosemite finished downloading and tried to run, Casper caught it. Same way, it used the InstallAssistant process to catch it. Has anybody been able to confirm that it can also be blocked by specifying the process as "Install OS X Yosemite"?

scottb
Honored Contributor

Just confirmed the "InstallAssistant" block here. Likewise I chose a Mac not in the exceptions list so I got that true customer experience of absolute grief when it went poof!
Have not tried the "Install OS X Yosemite" method yet.

sgoetz
Contributor

I confirmed "Install OS X Yosemite" works for blocking it. I have it delete the .app file so that users can't make changes to make it work.