OSInstaller fail under Net Boot / works as regular installer

woggledog
New Contributor

Morning all.

Am setting up a netboot image, and hitting what appears to be a simple error.

The installer (which works fine as a regular installer for both root and regular admin accounts) is hitting these errors:

Mar 21 15:22:29 localhost OSInstaller[342]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Mar 21 15:22:29 localhost OSInstaller[342]: PackageKit: request=PKInstallRequest <1 packages, destination=/Volumes/XXXXX>
Mar 21 15:22:29 localhost OSInstaller[342]: PackageKit: packages=( "PKLeopardPackage <file://localhost/Volumes/Image%20Volume/Packages/TestInstaller.pkg>"
)
Mar 21 15:22:29 localhost OSInstaller[342]: PackageKit: Extracting file://localhost/Volumes/Image%20Volume/Packages/TestInstaller.pkg (destination=/Volumes/XXXX/.PKInstallSandboxManager/1.sandbox/Root/usr/local/bin, uid=0)
Mar 21 15:22:29 localhost OSInstaller[342]: PackageKit: Shoving /Volumes/XXXXX/.PKInstallSandboxManager/1.sandbox/Root (1 items) to /Volumes/XXXXX
Mar 21 15:22:29 localhost OSInstaller[342]: PackageKit: Executing script "./postinstall" in /Volumes/XXXX/.PKInstallSandboxManager/1.sandbox/Scripts/com.acme.TestInstaller.pkg.PdiNFD
Mar 21 15:22:29 localhost OSInstaller[342]: ./postinstall: chmod: /usr/local/bin/com.acme..plist: No such file or directory
Mar 21 15:22:29 localhost OSInstaller[342]: ./postinstall: chown: -R/ usr/local/bin/com.acme.
.plist: No such file or directory

What the installer does is install several files into /usr/local/bin

and then run a simple postflight.sh that does some chowns and chmods

From what I see, however, is that the files are not getting copied to /usr/local/bin in the first place, but I can't see why...

Is this a sandboxing issue? Is it a signing issues? Is it the continuing storrrrry of a quack who's gone to the dogs?

PS: some of the names have been changed
PPS: The original package was made using package maker (I know, I know...). I've subsequently built this using composer with no post flight and am awaiting testing

4 REPLIES 4

thanzig
New Contributor II

Hey Woggledog,
I am new to this stuff but I'm confused as to what you are doing. A netboot is just a network bootable OSX hosted on an OS X server. Are you netbooting new machines and then trying to lay down an image with casper? Or are you trying to create a NetInstall or NetRestore?

woggledog
New Contributor

sorry, net install image, not boot. My apologies.

Trying to lay down an image with casper, with several installers

woggledog
New Contributor

Can confirm that the issue isn't there when using a composer pkg.

Lesson learnt!

However, if anyone has some insight...

thanzig
New Contributor II

I netboot into a custom OS X with the casper utilities. I then lay down the image, apps and other stuff. My image is a DMG I created with Computer. My apps are all packages created with Composer as well.