OT: Important JAMF Nation Account Notification

ToriAnneke
Contributor II

Hey all,

Did anyone else get an email from JAMF with the above Subject?

This was in the body:

On March 14, an unknown source maliciously gained access to your primary e-mail address on JAMF Nation through a previously unknown and unintentional information disclosure on the website. ....

I ask cause me and anther guy at work got the same email at the same time.
Just wondering if anyone else getting this and if it's legit.

Thanks,
-p

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

zach
New Contributor III

Hi everybody-

The email that you received is a legit email from us.

One point of clarification on the email: People have been asking us the question about exactly what the individual gained access to. They found the "Primary Email Address" field from JAMF Nation. They did not gain access to your email or to your password.

We're fielding questions as they come in. Feel free to continue to email our primary contact for privacy (privacy@jamfsoftware.com), Wudi (wudi@jamfsoftware.com), or me at zach@jamfsoftware.com.

Zach Halmstad

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Yes. I got it as well, seems legit.

youngj
New Contributor II

I received the same notification from JAMF also.

kbrookershc
New Contributor

Hey - I got the same too. The "mail" links aren't valid "mailto:" format and have a very strange URL linked. I scanned the URL in VirusTotal and got no hits but I really don't trust the email at the moment.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I got it as well. I also got random spam yesterday that I immediately discarded. Now I understand why I got it.

msanchez
New Contributor III

I have been getting a lot of spam and when I looked at who all got sent it I was wondering why most if not all the emails had edu or school emails, now I know got this email today.

TreviñoL
Contributor

Same here.

jcavallino
New Contributor

Same here i received a email like this a few mins ago as well. I been getting bitcoin spam email to my company address for the past few days i wonder if its related.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Got one, as did my coworker. The URLs might point to Marketo, which could be a service JAMF is using for this kind of email blast (though I don't have many old emails from JAMF to check against, outside of service tickets).

Edit: Apparently I didn't delete the old 9.1/8.72 announcement; it has the same kind of links (mkto-p00...). MKTO is the stock symbol for Marketo.

brokenImages
New Contributor

WTF is JAMFNATION ? i just got that email too ?

jmonahan
New Contributor

I got this email twice today.

jcavallino
New Contributor

i replied to the email and asked for a source address that they claim my account was hacked. I would like to share the information with my information security team just to make sure we aren't affected

barber
New Contributor

I got one just wondering if its legit.

barber
New Contributor

I got one just wondering if its legit.

daguy666
New Contributor II

Anyone know what actually happened?

jcavallino
New Contributor

brokenimages seems to be a fake account LOL

ejep520
New Contributor

If it's true, and it's coming from JAMF Nation via Marketo as the headers would seem to indicate, it'd be nice to know if passwords were also compromised, etc.

If not, more bits for the bit bucket.

nigelg
Contributor

I got it too. Email comes from Jason Wudi. Doesn't look too official though. The links are all randomised addresses.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProfile.html?userID=7

psimard
New Contributor

I received it as well.

zach
New Contributor III

Hi everybody-

The email that you received is a legit email from us.

One point of clarification on the email: People have been asking us the question about exactly what the individual gained access to. They found the "Primary Email Address" field from JAMF Nation. They did not gain access to your email or to your password.

We're fielding questions as they come in. Feel free to continue to email our primary contact for privacy (privacy@jamfsoftware.com), Wudi (wudi@jamfsoftware.com), or me at zach@jamfsoftware.com.

Zach Halmstad

gburgess
New Contributor III

I've gotten the email as well. I checked out the links with another email that I got from a release point update email. It seems that they use that service, so this looks legit. Would love to see an official response on here though just to make sure.

Edit: I see that an official response came out as I posted this. :)

ToriAnneke
Contributor II

Thanks for the quick answer Zach!!

-p

nigelg
Contributor

Yes thanks Zach

jbestine
New Contributor III

Thanks Zach et al.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

best practice - change your password anyway.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Gotta love 1Password...took 30 seconds to update my JAMF account with a long complex password across all my computers and devices. ;)

https://agilebits.com/onepassword

--
https://donmontalvo.com

daguy666
New Contributor II

1password is the best...

Anyway is there a way to actually remove a jamfnation account? I had a colleague just ask me.

rbecerra
New Contributor

I did as well.

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Me and my colleagues too....

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I got one too. Doesn't sound like they got access to passwords, nor to our JAMFNation account per se, just the email addresses stored for our JN accounts, so while I may change my JN password for good measure, not sure there's much of a need to.

smstaff
New Contributor

I have received a very odd spam email. I keep getting emails supposedly from Apple regarding upcoming genius bar appointments. Has anyone else been getting these emails since our email addresses have been stolen?

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Spam and SYN attacks are like the background radiation of the Internet... They're always there. I've noticed no change in the volume of spam hitting our filters or my inbox.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

true. Although it would be too soon to be getting spam yet they would have to sell the data.

Yes, 1Password is awesome. :)