[OT] Office 2011 - Spell Check not working

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

So I followed the guide about how to package Office 2011 and use templates and all that stuff from http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/administration/deployment/casper/

However a few users have complained that their spell checker is not functional in anything except outlook (word, PP, Excel don't work. Excel returns cannot initialize spellchecker).
I've scoured the internet trying to find whats wrong and i'm coming up empty. I've tried the dictionary suggestions, deleting the normal.dotm file and stuff nothign seems to work. In word it seems the grammer checkbox is greyed out.

If I install the product manually and don't use any of the customization things it works fine. So I assume it's the MUD / Office First Run stuff, but i dont recall changing anything in that, only pre-configuring for Outlook...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Update: I think I resolved it, my choices.xml file was doing something to the proofing tools I think... I took out these lines, repushed office and now it's working.

<string>vb</string> <string>english</string>

Take away from this - be careful with installer choices.xml files... an errent setting can cause a lot of headaches (now I gotta go fix about 50 installs).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Update: I think I resolved it, my choices.xml file was doing something to the proofing tools I think... I took out these lines, repushed office and now it's working.

<string>vb</string> <string>english</string>

Take away from this - be careful with installer choices.xml files... an errent setting can cause a lot of headaches (now I gotta go fix about 50 installs).