Package failed to upload

adria_prado
New Contributor

Hi Nation, I am receiving the following message when trying to upload a package to Jamf Cloud:
Package failed to upload

The package has only 64 KB, I was able to upload other packages before, not really sure about what is going on...

Has anyone been through the same issue ?

Thanks you

63 REPLIES 63

cas1831
New Contributor

We might be having different issues. I learned that JAMF Admin has some problems and messes up the database on JAMFCloud. I had to rename the file I wanted to upload to something different and then re-upload it. It worked after that. I'm on Catalina right now.

pinsent
New Contributor III

I seem to be seeing the same problem over the last couple of weeks. I upload packages, they seem to be stable. I deploy the policy and see it fail, then call it manually and get an error that says the package is not available. After I look at the packages I'm finding most of them are now stating "Upload Failed"

zachary_fisher
New Contributor III

I’ve seen this issue before. I did the following to fix.

• delete errored pkg from jamfcloud entirely
  • rename pkg for uploading using no spaces, such macOSCatalina.pkg and re upload using web GUI (pref from a device that is hard wired in as it seems to have a higher success rate)

After I did this it worked.

From jamf support engineer: “Spaces in file names, mainly packages and script just a bad time with Jamf Pro. Naming files with camelCase, named-with-dashes or named_with_underscores are just better.”

Hope this helps!

Exploding-Toads
New Contributor

I have been able to get around the problem by deleting my package all together and recreating a new one. Unfortunately you then have to re-add the package to any policies using that package.
I have also seen trying again later to work as well.
Frustrating issue.

MacPapi
New Contributor II

+1 to @zachary.fisher 's workaround.

I've been having problems uploading the newest Microsoft Office v16.38 pkg this whole week via the web gui and jamf admin. After deleting all pending pkgs, renaming the local pkg with no spaces and no underscores, I was finally able to successfully upload the 1.64GB Office pkg.

I just finished testing a deployment of this new pkg to my own Mac with great success. Hopefully this can help others get around this annoying issue while Jamf gets around to fixing it properly.

chrisB
Contributor II

I had the same issue today with the original "Microsoft AutoUpdate 4.29.pkg"; I uploaded it several times and it always failed, but other PKGs could be uploaded without trouble.
The solution was to zip the PKG file, then uploading worked smoothly.

molops
New Contributor II

Having the same issue today. I've tried multiple solutions but I think there is a corrupted package list in the JCDS. I am not sure how to resolve this.

KretZoR
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue today, seems like somethings broken at Jamf? But status.jamf.com says everything is green..

molops
New Contributor II

I heard from a Jamf support response that this is related to PI-006574 which is not currently listed on the PI board.

chrisB
Contributor II

@molops: [PI-006574] Fixed an issue that sometimes caused large packages to fail to upload to the JCDS.

It's not an issue with large packages - it's an issue with EVERY package!

KretZoR
New Contributor III

So I also talked to the Jamf Support today and they asked me to simply in Jamf Cloud GUI go to:
Management Settings > System Settings > Activation Code > Edit
and then re-paste the activation code and Save (this resets something, don't know what).

Then uploading packages worked again!

molops
New Contributor II

@chrisB I am discovering this as well. Here's what I know:

1. This situation occurs anytime I try to upload a modified package for an existing definition in our packages list.
  2. Renaming the modified package and uploading it as a new package definition works fine (which generates a new MD5)
  3. Only when I attempt to upload a package which has been modified to an existing definition do I get the "upload failed error"
  4. This is probably because the modified package has a mismatched checksum and the JCDS errors trying to recreate the checksum

This means any package definition I have in Jamf cannot be updated, but can only be recreated. This obviously breaks links to existing policies and PreStages. I deploy a lot of zero-payload packages that run scripts in a PKG for the exact reason I can only deploy PKGs in PreStages and Patch Management.

Hope it gets some attention, my day just got a looooot longer 😅

chrisB
Contributor II

@KretZoR: I entered our activation code again, but this didn't help. The only effect I see is that the error message "Upload failed" appears much earlier.

KretZoR
New Contributor III

@chrisB Damn.. :( Jamf Support also suggested to switch primary (principal) distribution point from Cloud to FileShare and then back again, if you've set that up.. Otherwise I suggest you contact Jamf Support! :)

chrisB
Contributor II

@KretZoR: I switched the distribution point to "None" and then back to "Jamf Cloud" with no effect. I already opened a support ticket yesterday.
At the moment only zipping the PKG files makes uploads possible.

chrisB
Contributor II

Things are getting even worse: At moment I can't even upload zipped PKG files, and when I want to delete these failed updates I run into timeouts and "Service temporarily unavailable" messages.

chrisB
Contributor II

Jamf Europe just confirmed that this issue is an EMEIA-wide (Europe, Middle East, India, Asia) problem, and they'll work on it with highest priority.

molops
New Contributor II

Thanks for relaying that @chrisB ! For now I will go back to focusing on the other major topic of the day - macOS Big Sur!

glpi-ios
Contributor III

@chrisB Hello,
Thank you for this information.
Do you know if the problem is fixed because we still have the problem. We are still unable to upload files (pkg, zip or dmg) from Jamf Admin to the Cloud distribution point.
All our packages are "Upload failed" in the JSS (no error on Jamf Admin).

Thank you

molops
New Contributor II

I can confirm that re-uploading packages to existing definitions in Jamf works. Creating new definitions with names which previously existed in the package list does not work, however. If you rename the package and upload it it should work for now. Long term this is not fixed yet but it's a workaround for the time being.

chrisB
Contributor II

Today my issue has been solved by restarting the cloud distribution server(s).

glpi-ios
Contributor III

@chrisB Have you asked support to do this?

chrisB
Contributor II

@glpi-ios I opened a support ticket and Jamf finally restarted the server.

lgonz85
New Contributor

What worked for me was creating a new Configuration Profile, then saving it with only its General settings (name, description, etc.) without configuring any payload. Then returning to the saved Profile to configure the payload.

I was having issues with this same error for simple .otf font files until attempting this method which worked for me. If it still doesn't work, consider using your browser in incognito/private mode while configuring the Profile/payload.