Package Indexing not working

jkorpela
New Contributor

Good afternoon all,

I'm having an issue where i am attempting to uninstall a DMG but the Indexing feature does not seem to be working correctly. I'm right clicking on the DMG that I want to uninstall and telling it to index the DMG. Casper does its thing and then I double click on the DMG, open the options tab and select the "Allow this package to be uninstalled by Casper or via a policy". I then save and exit out of Casper Admin and open Casper Remote. Uninstall is not an option under the drop down menu for the DMG and when I create a policy to uninstall the DMG it returns an error saying that the DMG has not been indexed.

The software I cam trying to uninstall is Ableton Live 9. I installed it on the client computers using Casper and should be able to remove it using Casper, or at least thats what I've done in the past with other DMGs. Any help is very much appreciated.

Josh Korpela

Edited:Changed package to DMG as this is what I meant but I can see how mixed terminology can be confusing

18 REPLIES 18

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@jkorpela, indexing PKG's isn't for uninstalls.

You can index DMG & then uninstall.

I think when indexing PKG's it create the BOM file if missing.

Is there a script or uninstaller that Abelton provide?

jkorpela
New Contributor

I meant DMG, not pkg. I was using the terminology that is in the Casper system but I can see how this would be confusing. Sorry bout that, edited the original post

bentoms

@jkorpela, no worries.

Is Casper remote been closed & re-opened/opened after you've saved the change?

jkorpela
New Contributor

Yes. I even pulled down a "new" copy of the program from our server repository because I thought it might be an issue with the program itself

bentoms

Do you have multiple DP's?

Is so, does the behaviour change with the master DP being selected?

Oh, & is anything at all being uninstalled? Or just part? Has Live been updated since deployed?

Lastly, can you post your log when uninstalling?

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

When you re-open Casper Admin, does the DMG give you an option to re-index or is i still Index?

It is possible that the compilation is not being stored correctly due to file share permissions or something like that.

jkorpela
New Contributor

@msblake

When I log into Casper Admin again it gives the option of "Index selected Package(s)" and when I double click and go to the options tab on the menu for the DMG the check box to "Allow this package to be uninstalled by Casper or a Policy" is grayed out unless I reindex the DMG.

@bentoms
I am unable to uninstall using a Policy because it states that the package is not indexed and I am unable to use Casper Remote as uninstall is not an option. As such I can't post a log, unless you would like me to post the Policy log. I have run no updates for Ableton since I installed it in the middle of last week as it was the most recent version when I installed it and users on these machines do not have the ability to install updates(no admin rights).

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

@jkorpela I would double check the permissions on the file share. Once it is indexed and Casper Admin sees the file, the button will change to "Re-Index". It sounds to me like the file is not being saved to the share properly.

jkorpela
New Contributor

@msblake

At this point I have pulled the package out of our Repository and on to my Desktop. I then completely deleted it from Casper using Casper Admin before cling the program, reopening it and adding the package back and it still giving me this funky behavior. Maybe I just need to remake the package in Composer and try again?

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

@jkorpela I don't think this is a problem with the package at all. I think it is a permission issue on your file share and suggest you check there.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

msblake has a good idea there, and it certainly won't hurt to check / correct them.

jkorpela
New Contributor

@msblake

What should I looking for on the file share?

bsuggett
Contributor II

Hi,

We've experienced this with our Ableton Live packages. They refuse to index.

The symptoms are when using Casper Admin, Indexing is seriously quick for a 13GB package, checking the allow uninstall flag, saving, exiting, Then relaunching Casper Admin or navigating to packages in the JSS shows the package isn't index.

It's only appearing on our Ableton Live packages for us thankfully but it looks like others have experienced this too.

I'll work on trying to upload a bom file of our Ableton Live package which might give someone at least an idea where to start looking.

Regards
Blake

bsuggett
Contributor II

Hi,

Ok.. Done some experimentation on our Ableton Live packages. It appears that the .app is the culprit of not being able to be indexed via Casper admin. We've worked around this issue by separating the app into its own package and everything else in another package. Using the run command in a policy we can simple remove the .app file with the uninstall of the 2nd package file.

Regards
Blake

MacMaul
New Contributor II

We are having an issue with Indexes showing as "No" for all dmgs or pkgs in Admin or the JSS (ver. 9.96). This is after Indexing with Admin and making sure Allow package to be uninstalled is checked. Then once you close Admin and open it back up, the Index is gone. What is really strange is that in the JSS, the Contents section for the pkg/dmg is there (which is what I assume Remote uses to uninstall) and the checkbox for Allow package to be uninstalled is checked but in the list of Packages, everything under the Index column is "No". Could this be related to the file share permissions issue mentioned above?

MacMaul
New Contributor II

Does this fix in 9.97 reference this issue?
Defect PI-002949, fixed in 9.97: “Fixed an issue where macOS packages could not be indexed and were removed from indexing during upgrade.”

dudzikj
New Contributor III

@PhilMaul Did you ever figure out if 9.97 takes care of this issue? I'm running into a similar issue, also on 9.96.

Indexing a package works, and options on indexed packages (like uninstall) are available to me as long as I don't close the JAMF Admin window. If I reopen and go back to a previously indexed package that I have set "Allow package to be uninstalled" on, the option is greyed out and unchecked, but I can still choose uninstall as an option for that package if I attempt to create a policy using it. JAMF Admin and the web interface show "No" for indexing status.

I thought maybe this was because I just moved my JAMF database and DP from one Windows server to another, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions about it being an issue with the migration since it sounds like it may just be a bug in the 9.96 software(?).

dudzikj
New Contributor III

Well, I fired up the old VM just to confirm the indexing weirdness was there all along, and it all matches what I'm seeing in my current JSS, so at least I know I didn't do anything horribly wrong in the migration.