Papercut and Sierra

CapU
Contributor III

Has anyone been able to print using the paper cut client?
We have our printers set up to use Papercut. When I set up the machine to print directly to the printer, Success, however when I setup paper cut client, the printer doesn't pause but I don't see a printout either. Has anyone been succesful in printing on OS X using paper cut?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CapU
Contributor III

@Malcolm Thanks for the reply. For as long as I have been at the University, we have used a Windows print server. We don't provide Air printing or have a need for iPads to print. Our iPads are in the Library available for sign out and the Librarians have some course using iPads.
I guess we'll wait for an update to the Papercut Server/Client

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Brett
New Contributor II

PaperCut & Sierra Known Issues

This link references PaperCut Server rather than client, but it could be possible that the issues with Sierra and the upgraded version of CUPS also can affect the client depending upon your system setup. What platform is your PaperCut server and how are your clients connecting? I've had issues with Mac clients using LPD to connect to a Windows server -- print jobs just evaporated. Packet traces on the client showed everything working until the end of the transfer but nothing showed up in any of the queues on the server. We solved some of the issues by adding printers with "Windows printer via spools" on the client side, but couldn't use it for other printers because we have some non-authenticated printing.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Do you use virtual cues?

CapU
Contributor III

@Malcolm We are not using Virtual cues

Malcolm
Contributor II

@CapU For best paper cut macbook integration, you need two servers, a windows server for your primary, and a mac server for your secondary,

you set up your printers on the mac server, then isntall the papercut software on the as a secondary server, then modifiy the config, to have the IP of your primary server.

then you run the Control Printer Monitoring.command from the PaeperCut MF folder in applications, and enable the printers to monitor

these printers will then show in papercut, and you should be able to be configured from there, to release, but you will need to select the release option best suited to you... and of course you need to share the printers within the printers section of preferences on the mac.

CapU
Contributor III

@Malcolm We haven't had any issues with printing before. This is a Sierra workaround?
We don't currently have any Sierra workstations yet, but I want to be ready. If the President or Vice_President shows up with a new device guess who has to make it work. I want to be ready.
I block Sierra install all over the campus

Malcolm
Contributor II

@CapU Not really a work around, but more specifically needed for air printing and iPads, but helps with integration on Macbooks also.

I've never used only windows server papercut for mac before, its been over 5 years while since I even tried that.

CapU
Contributor III

@Malcolm Thanks for the reply. For as long as I have been at the University, we have used a Windows print server. We don't provide Air printing or have a need for iPads to print. Our iPads are in the Library available for sign out and the Librarians have some course using iPads.
I guess we'll wait for an update to the Papercut Server/Client

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We used to have awful Mac printing issues with Windows server queues. Then I switched to pushing out a printer install script with smb://. Been working great for 2 years now. Make sure the driver is already on the client if you need all the bells and whistles.

Here is the command I use for a Xerox:
lpadmin -p printername -E -v smb://server/queuename -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Xerox WorkCentre 7855.gz -o auth-info-required=negotiate -o XRTrays=FiveTraysHCTT -o XRFinisher=SBFinisher -o XRHolePunch=23Unit

You don't have to add all the driver specific arguments. Since our users do use those features I had to.

-o auth-info-required=negotiate was needed to not have the printer prompt for user login for each print job. (We use AD accounts on the Macs)

Now, the only printing issues we have are if the Mobile Account on the Mac lost its kerberos ticket and needs to re-authenticate OR they are on the wrong WiFi SSID.

**Our Windows servers are using Papercut.

McLeanSchool
New Contributor III

Do you connect to the print server using SMB or LPD? We switched to LPD 2 years ago and haven't looked back due to multiple timeout issues with SMB. We still have file servers we connect to using SMB and I've noticed that Sierra has significantly slowed down SMB connections and I haven't been able to figure it out. I've even tried all the /etc/nsmb.conf suggestions. Perhaps your issue is related to this?

lehmanp00
Contributor III

SMB printing for us has been completely trouble free. LPD printing was not only problematic, but Xerox support itself said they "didn't really" support Xerox LPD printing in the MacOS environment. Now, I know SMB file sharing has had issues for people but, at least for us SMB printing has been fine.

kcc
New Contributor

We managed to get PaperCut (FX's MyPrint) up and running on MacOS Sierra. There's a known issue on MacOS Sierra. (https://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/MacOS1012SierraKnownIssues). If you use PaperCut, please upgrade your PaperCut to version 15.2+.

If you use MyPrint, please run command from the following link : (http://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/MacOS1010YosemiteKnownIssues). For those who use xerox, please install Xerox's driver ver 1.5 to make it to work on macOS Sierra.