Password on Admin account on New Image

Lhsachs
Contributor II

I'm testing creating images with instadmg. I placed the image in Casper Admin - without having created an admin account in instadmg. I set my configuration with Ensure computers are managed, username and password set for the admin account.

After imaging the machine, I can't log in as the admin. I can log in with my ad credentials, and my managed, mobile account is created.

Looking at Users and Groups, I see the admin account and my managed, mobile account.

The issue is that the password doesn't work. Anyone else seeing this problem? Do I need to create the admin account in instadmg? (I also saw this issue with taking installing the esd.dmg and not setting it up.

Setting up a system and then using composer works... I just wanted to move the the 'clean' image. (for systems that are reimaged - will be using the thin image concept for new hardware)

Oh- running JSS 8.43

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lhsachs
Contributor II

createlionuser is in the revised build train...and works...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Lenny,

You can include your admin user in your InstaDMG image using createLionUser.pkg:

http://code.google.com/p/instadmg/source/browse/trunk/AddOns/createUser/README.txt

It's included in your InstaDMG directory, in AddOns: createUser. createLionUser.pkg can be used to set up users for 10.7.x and higher, createUser.pkg is for 10.5.x - 10.6.8.

gotshallmaxon
New Contributor II

This is how our config is setup. We have an InstaDMG-style clean install and this creates a usable admin account. It works perfectly.

external image link

Lhsachs
Contributor II

Rich,

I know I could use the create lion user in instadmg... I was wondering why the create user password in Casper wasn't working - whether it was an issue only I was having...

Lenny

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

i've seen it fail before and forget if it was because jamf tries to create the account before the newly imaged machine is rebooted or that the way passwords are stored in 10.7 is different, and the jamf binary doesn't play well. maybe it's neither of those.

i just add createlionuser to the build train and know it will work.

alternatively, you could create the new account on first boot, which may be more reliable.

Lhsachs
Contributor II

createlionuser is in the revised build train...and works...