Peer-to-Peer Airplay

philhavens
New Contributor

Has anyone gotten the new peer-to-peer Airplay feature to work? I have iOS 8 GM on my phone and Apple TV 7.0 just released today installed on an Apple TV and am not seeing the Airplay option. Both devices have Bluetooth and WiFi turned on, just not connected to a network.

Any luck?

14 REPLIES 14

geoffreykobrien
Contributor

same here

philhavens
New Contributor

@geoffreykobrien Looking for the secret to get it working!

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Saw the same with GM builds. :(

Looks like vapourware.

geoffreykobrien
Contributor

"Apple's new peer-to-peer AirPlay feature and the iOS 8/Yosemite video capturing capabilities will be available to the public this fall, following the official launch of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite."

rdwhitt
Contributor II

I Just upgraded my iPhone 5 and my Apple TV and it seems to be working. Apple TV is not on the network, iPhone is not connected to WiFi but I'm able to mirror successfully.

bbelew
Contributor

It worked for me today across network. My iPad was on our JH network and my ATV was on our admin network. It saw the ATV and connected to it just fine.

cbroughton
New Contributor

Being able to work across networks is major news for enterprise and education. I don't have an ATV to test with, can anyone else confirm this or provide any more info?

philhavens
New Contributor

I haven't been able to test and be sure that it's actually not sending network traffic. Can't verify that it's truly peer-to-peer.

cbroughton
New Contributor

From reading elsewhere the peer-to-peer part uses wifi direct which will take both devices off a WiFi network and connect to only to each other. Meaning you won't have internet access on an iPad when presenting.

I'm more curious about bbelew saying he was able to get AirPlay working across networks. Bonjour has never worked across subnets so I'm doubtful that this is actually happening.

geoffreykobrien
Contributor

This is now working for us, I don't know if it was a timing thing or what, but it functions pretty slick. I did not lose internet on my iPad and could use it normally.

bbelew
Contributor

cbroughton -- The way I understood it working originally was basically using bluetooth to advertise it's existence allowing the device to connect to it regardless of which subnet it's on. Which is how it is functioning for me currently in my tests.

cbroughton
New Contributor

AWESOMESAUCE!

Now I'll look at buying some Apple TV's for our boardrooms. It was just too clunk before.
I've heard it works with a limited number of ATV models but I'm assuming the newest ones on the shelf should be fine.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Hit the new iOS Deployment Reference. http://help.apple.com/deployment/ios/

Here's the specific bit about peer-to-peer Airplay. Most if not all of your questions as to how it works are here.
http://help.apple.com/deployment/ios/#/apd8fc751f59

cashxx
New Contributor

Its working here, didn't start working till GM builds. I took an Apple TV Rev A version and updated to GM version and updated to latest iOS 8 on iPad 4th Gen. Simply turn on AppleTV without network connections, the only thing hooked up was the HDMI to the TV. Then on iPad it simply showed up in Control Center. Note you may have to scroll down in the Airplay panel, it doesn't expand for me if there are other devices under iPad after clicking on Airplay button.

Just make sure you are using the correct AppleTV RevA and newer models of Apple devices and it should work!

Also, I was able to browse the internet on my iPad and display it as I was hooked up to the AppleTV! Was browsing pictures on Google and doing searches for different things so I know it wasn't cached or anything.

So to me it looks like true peer to peer and should be able to browse the internet while presenting peer to peer from what I have seen.

Peer-to-peer AirPlay requires:
Apple TV (3rd generation rev A Model A1469 or later) with Apple TV software 7.0
iOS devices (2012 or later) with iOS 8
Mac computers (2012 or later) with OS X Yosemite version 10.10