Permissions - Unmanage Machines in JSS

jtesauro
New Contributor

Hey guys,

Low priority question. I want to give other some of my users in other offices permission to Unmanage machines in the JSS. However I'm not clear on where that specific permission is set. The closest I found is "JSS - Inventory Tab Privileges -Unmanage Mobile Devices".

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Joey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I think the following 3 settings control that:

View Inventory Tab
View Details on Inventory Items
Edit Inventory Items

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270

Are we talking Macs here? If so, go into Details on the Mac, in the Computer Information tab, click on the (-) icon in the upper right. then uncheck the "Manage this computer" checkbox. Click Save. That Mac is now unmanaged from the perspective of the JSS.
Couple of things to note, the launchagent on the client Mac will still do its regular "check-in" with your JSS, so the Last Contact Date will continue to update, but you will no longer be able to push any software to this machine. It won't be available in Scope tabs or in Casper Remote. It also won't submit any inventory, since that is controlled by a policy and policies won't run on an unmanaged Mac.
Also, if you decide to manage it again later, you need to re-enter the local account name/password for management. Once you click Save, the db gets updated and removes that info.

jtesauro
New Contributor

Ah. I don't need to know how to manage/unmanage machines myself; I need to give other JSS Users the ability to manage/unmanage machines. I'm trying to find out what permission in Casper allows this.

mm2270

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I think the following 3 settings control that:

View Inventory Tab
View Details on Inventory Items
Edit Inventory Items

jtesauro
New Contributor

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed.