Physical Inventory

Janowski
New Contributor II

Hey everyone -

I know the JSS has some great tools for managing your live inventory-- when the resource is on the floor and calling home.

But we're interested in strengthening our pre and post JSS inventory - so when machines first arrive but aren't out of the box yet. Then similarly, after they have retired to a storage area in a different building.

One of the JSS-based solutions we are looking into involves scanning the boxes from apple when they arrive, manually creating a JSS Client from that scan and then supplementing the entry with manually added data like "Joe's department." On the back end we'd have smart groups that categorize it for us.

Ultimately giving us something like this: one spot where we would be able to look and see how many Mac Pro's we still have in inventory for Joe's team and how many we have for John's team and how many of Jane's G5's are in storage, ready to be recycled.

We're also curious about alternate ways of doing this. Does anyone use a third party app for managing their physical inventory? And if so, does it tie into your JSS data at all?

Or is there a better way of leveraging the JSS for this kind of thing?
Any suggestions for physical asset tags?

thanks!

ben janowski
Senior Macintosh Support Technician
Kohl's Mac Support Team
262.703.1396 | benjamin.janowski at kohls.com

3 REPLIES 3

Dtwerdohlib
New Contributor III

Hey Ben,

The only little complication (I think, but I could be wrong) I can see with pre/post JSS Inventory is that it uses up a seat on your license. If you have enough room for that then I suppose it's all good then.

What we like to do is keep the JSS storing active equipment only. Everything else is deleted when it's time to 'put it out to pasture'. One program we do use though for other inventory items is LightSpeed. It's very good from what i've seen. Comes in handy when I need to bill a school for repairs and whatnot. I think there is a barcode generator too.

As for 'tags'....what we do is we have lot numbers attached to each shipment that comes in. So if we get a shipment of books we'll tag it with a number, then we use that number as a part of our label naming convention for the laptops. For example one laptop could be labeled MB23-001. MB is for MacBook, 23 is the lot number it was from, and then the number the the series. We put these labels on all our laptops. Makes it very easy to identify . The labelling and inventory is a lot of work but it pays off for sure. Especially when we need to identify equipment that has a recall notice on it.

Hope that helps

Dan Twerdohlib
Network/Computer Tech
Lakeland Catholic School Division No.150
780-815-0071
dtwerdohlib at lcsd150.ab.ca

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

+10.5

John Wojda

Lead System Engineer, DEI & Mobility

3333 Beverly Rd. B2-338B

Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Phone: (847)286-7855

Page: (224)532.3447

Team Lead DEI: Matt Beiriger
<mailto:mbeirig at searshc.com;jwojda at searshc.com?subject=John%20Wojda%20Fe
edback&body=I%20am%20contacting%20you%20regarding%20John%20Wojda.>

Team Lead Mobility: Chris
<mailto:cstaana at searshc.com;jwojda at searshc.com?subject=John%20Wojda%20Fe
edback&body=I%20am%20contacting%20you%20regarding%20John%20Wojda.> Sta
Ana

Mac Tip/Tricks/Self Service & Support
<http://bit.ly/gMa7TB>

"Any time you choose to be inflexible in your approach to an
unpredictable project you are already building failure into your plan"

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You can set a "retired" piece of equipment to unmanaged and that will not
eat up a license. It does make your inventory very large if you have a lot
of devices retiring each year.

I do this with our equipment t when it is returned from lease. I just
uncheck the manage checkbox in the JSS for the piece of equipment.

On the front end I use an Excel spreadsheet and a barcode reader to capture
the assets as they come in. I can then copy and paste the serial numbers
into a Pre Stage in the JSS.

Steve

Sent from Somewhere