PKG only works when set on 'reboot'

AdvancedNoob
New Contributor III

Hi Nation,

I am testing the latest java pkg (v8.241).

If it set it on 'after' with any priorities, it doesn't install. If I set it on 'reboot' it installs.
looking at my Jamf admin, I can see that previous java packages are set on after with priority 5.

any ideas?

thanks

10 REPLIES 10

allanp81
Valued Contributor

If you are using Jamf Admin and using Jamf Imaging then it will only install onto the target OS if set to install at reboot.

AdvancedNoob
New Contributor III

thanks @allanp81 , is it only for java, do you know? flash install fine on 'after'

allanp81
Valued Contributor

How are you imaging? It really depends what your workflow is doing.

AdvancedNoob
New Contributor III

workflow:

partition.sh
macOS (autodmg with createuserpkg)
java.pkg
flash.pkg

that is it

allanp81
Valued Contributor

So if you are installing macOS from an image and then rebooting? anything you want installed into that image has to be set as after restart.

AdvancedNoob
New Contributor III

not always to my understanding (I'm pretty new to casper/jamf) as flash installed pre reboot (set to 'after')

allanp81
Valued Contributor

But unless you are pointing that install specifically at the partition you are restoring the image to, it will install into the os you are booted from (for instance if you are using netboot).

AdvancedNoob
New Contributor III

but how can flash install without a problem, this is what I've been scratching my head all day. lol
I am using netboot in this instance so it should install to iMac drive as normal

allanp81
Valued Contributor

@AdvancedNoob that I can't explan, unless you are using a custom pkg that specifically points to the installed volume.

AdvancedNoob
New Contributor III

thanks for the help @allanp81