plist for "~/Library/Application Support" redirect

jake_snyder
New Contributor III

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience creating a redirect for "~/Library/Application Support" and whether or not this redirect would negatively impact anything.

My assumption is that I would create a configuration profile with custom settings:

Preference Domain:
com.apple.MCXRedirector

Property List File:
{LogoutRedirection=[{action=deleteandCreateSymLink, destPath=/tmp/%@/Library/Application Support, path=~/Library/Application Support}], LoginRedirection=[{action=deleteAndCreateSymLink, destPath=/tmp/%@/Library/Application Support, path=~/Library/Application Support}]}

If anyone has a better suggestion (or a warning of why not to do this), I'd love to hear it. Also, if anyone can convert that to a plist file for me I'd be appreciative. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jake_snyder
New Contributor III

I was able to get this to work by saving the following as a plist file in xml format:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>LogoutRedirection</key> <array> <dict> <key>action</key> <string>deleteandCreateSymLink</string> <key>destPath</key> <string>/tmp/%@/Library/Application Support</string> <key>path</key> <string>~/Library/Application Support</string> </dict> </array> <key>LoginRedirection</key> <array> <dict> <key>action</key> <string>deleteAndCreateSymLink</string> <key>destPath</key> <string>/tmp/%@/Library/Application Support</string> <key>path</key> <string>~/Library/Application Support</string> </dict> </array> </dict> </plist>

Once the file is saved, you'll need to create a new configuration profile and use com.apple.MCXRedirector as the preference manifest. Upload your plist file, define the scope, and click save.

I ran sudo jamf recon, and restarted and the folder redirection started working.

If it doesn't seem to be working, try running sudo jamf removeframework, then enroll again (quickadd), then run sudo jamf recon and restart.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jake_snyder
New Contributor III

I was able to get this to work by saving the following as a plist file in xml format:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>LogoutRedirection</key> <array> <dict> <key>action</key> <string>deleteandCreateSymLink</string> <key>destPath</key> <string>/tmp/%@/Library/Application Support</string> <key>path</key> <string>~/Library/Application Support</string> </dict> </array> <key>LoginRedirection</key> <array> <dict> <key>action</key> <string>deleteAndCreateSymLink</string> <key>destPath</key> <string>/tmp/%@/Library/Application Support</string> <key>path</key> <string>~/Library/Application Support</string> </dict> </array> </dict> </plist>

Once the file is saved, you'll need to create a new configuration profile and use com.apple.MCXRedirector as the preference manifest. Upload your plist file, define the scope, and click save.

I ran sudo jamf recon, and restarted and the folder redirection started working.

If it doesn't seem to be working, try running sudo jamf removeframework, then enroll again (quickadd), then run sudo jamf recon and restart.