Policies install DMG packages, but don't unmount them.

nzmacgeek
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

We are experiencing an issue in one of our schools where policies installing DMGs (with FEU/FUT options set) are installing correctly, but leaving the disk images mounted well after the policy has finished executing successfully. When another user logs into the target computers, the disk images are visible on the desktop. We are a Jamf Pro 10.0.0 customer. We are only experiencing this on macOS 10.13 and later AFAIK. I have confirmed that the jamf policy has finished executing (it doesn't appear in the process list).

Is there something I am missing here?

William

8 REPLIES 8

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Two things, are you able to flip to a PKG install? if not, you may need to make a clean up script that forced the unmounting after install is complete.

nzmacgeek
New Contributor III

Ideally I’d have PKGs all around, but the packages in question deploy user plists and they’re pretty awful ones. Short of copying them from the PKG into the templates and accounts using a postinstall.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@nzmacgeek oh fun... well in that case as part of the policy i would have a script run after forcing the unmount of the disk.

Look
Valued Contributor III

For what it's worth we have the same thing happening across the road :) it's inconsistent though, some packages do, some don't. I had moved to pretty much always using PKG files since 10.13 for other reasons anyway so thankfully it's a pretty small set of deployments these days.

ibmbancointer
New Contributor II

Hi Folks,

We're facing the same here.
Some policies happening and some not.
We could not identify the root causes yet.

Please let me know if you solve this.

glaske
New Contributor III

I have a support ticket in with this and it's definitely an issue. This is what was recommended as a current workaround as there is no solution currently:

1) Use a non APFS formatted DMG. 2) Include a '/usr/bin/hdiutil detach /Volumes/Volume_Name_Of_DMG' command in the Execute Command field of the Policy to force the detachment.

Unfortunately, I have tried both things and we are still experiencing this issue. Feel free to give it a try though. I also have a few DMG's that need to stay that way, but other than that, I moved to all PKG's. We experience this issue on every login, so it's pretty blatant that it's a problem. Make sure you report these issues to your buddy!

pfrancois
New Contributor II

Hey Guys!

So I have the same issue as described in the original post. I tried @glaske's command above, but since these are APFS formatted DMGs, it's not working.

Any feedback from Jamf on this? I'm running 10.6.2. Does this function correctly and eject the volumes it mounts in 10.7?

glaske
New Contributor III

@pfrancois - As of now, the best thing to do is recreate all of your DMG's using HFS+ formatting. That has solved all of our issues regarding this as of now and is working fine on all macOS versions we have in our environment (10.13-10.14)

Good luck!