Pop up Messages to all User

supersizeal
Contributor

Is there a way to send a pop up message to all Staff computers to notify them that there is an email problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sgiesbrecht
Contributor III

I use this script and then create a Policy with the required scope

#!/bin/sh

########## Variables #########
JHELPER="/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper"

MsgTitle="New Medium Priority Alert: IS&T Impersonation"; # The message title

MsgIcon="/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/AlertStopIcon.icns"; # The message icon to use. System icons can be found /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources.

MsgIconSize="100"; # The size of the icon to use.  It will also be needed to change up to the size of the message box.

MsgButton1="OK"; # The button(s) name.  Can add -button2... for mutliple buttons

######## Message Body ########
MsgBody="Advisors are receiving calls where the caller is identifying themselves as IS&T HelpLine support in order to gain sensitive information. 

- Caller identifies themselves as IS&T HelpLine personnel and claims they need to “fix” or “repair” the VPN connectivity for the Advisor who answers the call. 

- Caller provides a link for the Advisor to engage in the false “fix” - Advisor is redirected to a malicious site that prompts them for credentials including username, password, and two-factor authentication code, giving the caller access to the Apple network. If you have visited a potentially malicious site and provided credentials, reset all of your Apple credentials and report it to your Team Manager. Any questions can be directed to the DRI.  

Press OK button to confirm that you have both read and understand this message"; # The body of the message.  Use like a text editor for line breaks."

######## Message Launcher ########
WELCOME=$("$JHELPER" -windowType utility -heading "$MsgTitle" -iconSize $MsgIconSize -icon "$MsgIcon" -alignDescription natural -description "$MsgBody" -button1 "$MsgButton1")

exit 0

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Eltord
Contributor

There isn't a native way to just send a pop up message without using some kind of script in a policy that runs on check in, at least not one that i'm aware of.

I've had to do similar tasks to our fleet for HR things, as well as general "Hey, you need to update your OS to latest and greatest" sort of things (this was before we started using Nudge), and with that I would write a script that uses the Jamf Helper tool to pop a message up on users screens, have it in a policy with set to run on check in, and run once per computer. I've also since upgraded to using the IBM Notifications tool, as it gives a much better prompt experience for users, but that requires an app install, where Jamf Helper is built in.

To see how to use Jamf Helper to prompt users, HCS has a good write up on the utility here.

sgiesbrecht
Contributor III

I use this script and then create a Policy with the required scope

#!/bin/sh

########## Variables #########
JHELPER="/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper"

MsgTitle="New Medium Priority Alert: IS&T Impersonation"; # The message title

MsgIcon="/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/AlertStopIcon.icns"; # The message icon to use. System icons can be found /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources.

MsgIconSize="100"; # The size of the icon to use.  It will also be needed to change up to the size of the message box.

MsgButton1="OK"; # The button(s) name.  Can add -button2... for mutliple buttons

######## Message Body ########
MsgBody="Advisors are receiving calls where the caller is identifying themselves as IS&T HelpLine support in order to gain sensitive information. 

- Caller identifies themselves as IS&T HelpLine personnel and claims they need to “fix” or “repair” the VPN connectivity for the Advisor who answers the call. 

- Caller provides a link for the Advisor to engage in the false “fix” - Advisor is redirected to a malicious site that prompts them for credentials including username, password, and two-factor authentication code, giving the caller access to the Apple network. If you have visited a potentially malicious site and provided credentials, reset all of your Apple credentials and report it to your Team Manager. Any questions can be directed to the DRI.  

Press OK button to confirm that you have both read and understand this message"; # The body of the message.  Use like a text editor for line breaks."

######## Message Launcher ########
WELCOME=$("$JHELPER" -windowType utility -heading "$MsgTitle" -iconSize $MsgIconSize -icon "$MsgIcon" -alignDescription natural -description "$MsgBody" -button1 "$MsgButton1")

exit 0

TY! This works great! It is exactly what I was looking for.

Spitzer
New Contributor II

You could use Jamf Helper Constructor to make create it and copy and paste the command in to files and processes of a policy. 
https://github.com/BIG-RAT/jhc

ty

schiemsk
New Contributor III

Hi,

I've simply create a maintenance policy (inventory update) and defined a message into the start message field (user interaction tab).

Regards.